BEAR TRACKS-SPECIAL ONLINE EDITION
January 13, 2022 • Updates from Roosevelt Elementary
Click this button. Then, click the black Translate Newsletter button and choose any language.
Dear Roosevelt Families,
By now, you've heard the news that we will pivot to online learning from Tuesday, January 18th—Monday, January 24th. Please know that, at Roosevelt, we are READY to support you and your child through this transition to ensure that learning continues.
Here's some important information to help you and your child prepare:
- Please send your child to school on Friday. Your child's teacher will teach your child to access all of our important online programs and will send important resources home with your child.
- Please choose a workspace where your child can focus (quick video for helpful tips). Headphones help in noisy situations. For privacy, aim the laptop camera toward a wall instead of into the room.
- Please help your child follow the schedule (see below). Using a timer is a huge help!
- Each morning at 8:45, your child should log into Google Meet to start a full day of online learning. Your child's teacher will share his/her Google Meet code.
- Please connect on ParentSquare with your child's teacher. Turn on notifications. If you haven't already, download the ParentSquare app for a better experience.
- Please review the BEAR Expectations for Distance Learning with your child to help him/her succeed at online learning.
- Order grab-and-go meals online by January 18. If you order online, you can pick up a 5-day meal pack at 11 schools on January 19 from 11:30 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.
- Roosevelt's self-contained special education classes and new transitional kindergarten class will remain in-person.
- There will be no school on Monday, January 17 in honor of Martin Luther King, Jr. Day.
- There WILL BE online school on January 24 to make up a snow day.
- We hope to return to in-person learning on Tuesday, January 25.
- Log into Google Meet at 8:45 am on Tuesday to start the day of learning.
- Morning classes happen at 9 am, 10 am, and 11 am.
- Afternoon class is at 12:15 pm.
- Office hours for teachers to help your child are in the afternoon—Grades K-3 from1:00-1:30 pm; Grades 4-5 from 1:30-2:00 pm.
- All specialist classes (library, music, and PE) happen between 1:15-3:15 pm.
See below for more details.
Your child's teacher will send a printed schedule home on Friday in your child's backpack. The schedule will include specific times and Google Meet codes.
Here is a SAMPLE schedule for online learning next week:
- Your child will have 3 classes in the morning live on Google Meet.
- These classes will be ELA small group, ELA whole group, and math, along with a morning meeting to launch the day. Each class will last approximately 45 minutes, followed by a break.
- After lunch, your child will have a 45-minute class for science, social studies, and interventions.
- Then, your child's teacher will be available for extra help during 30 minutes of office hours.
- Your child will have specialists for 30 minutes—a class for library, music, or PE.
- Last, your child has time for independent work—a combination of Google Classroom assignments and online learning programs.
Please call us at 573-1700 if you have any questions about your child's schedule, or contact your child's teacher through ParentSquare.
GET YOUR GOOGLE ACCOUNT INFO and LOG INTO LAPTOP
Username: Gmail address (Contact your child’s teacher or call 573-1700 for Gmail address)
For Grades K-3: 1234
For Grades 4-5: Elem1234
LOG INTO YOUR GOOGLE ACCOUNT
Double-click on Chrome browser to launch internet.
Go to Google homepage (www.google.com)
Click on blue SIGN IN button in top right corner and enter account info.
JOIN GOOGLE MEET AND GOOGLE CLASSROOM
Look for waffle in top right corner (9 squares in a grid)
Click on waffle and a drop-down menu appears.
Scroll down to click on icons for Google Meet or Google Classroom.
Call (509) 573-7120
Our website is still located at www.ysd7.org/Roosevelt.
Our website was just updated last week, and some of the links have moved. Here are the best links to use to find helpful information for you and your child. The "FIND IT FAST" should always be your first click because we update that area frequently with current information.
Visit the YSD Student Resources page for information and links to help your child connect to the internet from home. Resources include:
- Check-out of hotspot devices from Student Tech Support ((509) 573-7120 or firstname.lastname@example.org)
- USAC Affordable Connectivity Program
- Spectrum wifi hotspots
- Cell phone provider information
In addition, during independent learning time, your child should continue practicing reading, math, and language skills.! Visit our website (www.ysd7.org/Roosevelt) or your child's Google Classroom for links to all of our digital programs. During remote learning, your child can use Freckle Math to practice math, Imagine Learning to gain English-language skills, Epic for a huge library of books, and iStation to practice English/Language Arts. Clicking the links from our website or Google Classroom makes logging in faster and easier. Please contact your child's teacher or call (509) 573-1700 with any questions.
Changes have been made to our school calendar because of snow days last week:
- For January 3, the make-up day is Monday, January 24, which will be a full day of remote learning.
- For January 6, 2022, the make-up day is Wednesday, June 15 which will now be a full day of school.
- For January 7, 2022, the make-up day is Thursday, June 16.
- Our last day of school will now be a half-day on Friday, June 17.