HMS Bearcat Bulletin
A Note from Ms. Buschmann
On October 3, we hosted St. Clair for 7th and 8th grade basketball games during the day. It was incredibly exciting for our students and players. Many Middle School students have never been to a sports event at the middle school or high school. It was a great shared experience for us as a building. Hosting events like this provides for positive feelings toward school and contributes to a positive school culture. We work hard on academics, but I think it is important for kids to also have fun at school- we want them excited to run in the doors not anxious to run out of them. Please see the "Upcoming Events" section at the bottom of this newsletter for additional information about both during and after school events as well as days of significance at school.
Student of the Month
The nominees for September:
Front Row- Alley, Caden, Nolan, Isaiah
Middle Row- Jeremy, Ochean, Alivia, Konner, Andrew, Hannah, Gracie
Back Row- Claire, Emma, Morgan, Iteara, Shelby, Teri, Taylor, Will, Lance, Dominic
5th Grade- Alivia
6th Grade- Will
7th Grade- Isaiah
8th Grade- Lance
Spotlight on Attendance
Did You Know?
- Students shold miss no more than 9 days of school each year to stay engaged, successful and on track to graduation.
- By 6th grade, absenteeism is one of three signs that a student may drop out of high school.
- Missing 10 percent, or about 18 days, of the school year can drastically affect a student's academic success.
- Attendance is an important life skill that will help your child graduate from college and keep a job.
What You Can Do
- Talk about the importance of showing up to school every day, make that an expectation.
- Help your child maintain daily routines, such as finishing homework and getting a good night's sleep.
- Try not to schedule dental appointments and medical appointments during the school day.
- Stay on top of academic progress and seek help from teachers or tutors if necessary. Make sure teachers know how to contact you.
- Encourage meaningful afterschool activities, including sports and clubs.
Some information provided by attendanceworks.org
Student Days Off
- October 9
- October 27
- October 30
- January 3
- January 15
- February 12
- March 12
Scholastic Book Fair
Where: HMS Library
- October 19 and 20- open during school hours
- October 23-25- 7:30 am- 3:30 pm
- October 26- 7:30 am- 6:00 pm
What: Come find some new books for your child to read, purchase a book for a teacher's library based upon his or her wishlist; and/or see the items that were purchased with reward dollars earned from last year's book fairs.
School-Wide Positive Behavior Interventions and Supports (SW-PBIS or PBIS)
Thursday, Oct. 26th, 2-7pm
Blue Pride Drive
Each student will also have a scavenger hunt/ Bingo card to complete. Each task on the card will help them to discuss a different aspect of their day with a parent or guardian and those that complete at least 5 tasks will be entered for prizes and eligible for an incentive.
Reading and Math Parent Night
Pictures from around HMS
Hermann Middle School students are selling 2018 St. Louis Cardinals Calendars. Individual order sheets will go home later this month, and sales will run from October 20 to November 10. We are asking for your help to make this sales effort a success! These sales help support funding for student activities including field trips, attendance incentives, and eighth-grade celebration.
As an incentive, for EACH calendar sold, the student's name will be entered in a raffle, for example: sell 22 calendars and you're entered 22 times. The more you sell... the better your odds, and you can win more than once! Prizes will be local gift cards and a grand prize of an Amazon gift card will be awarded to the top seller.
Sales Dates: October 25- November 10
Delivery Date: 2nd Week of December (They make great Christmas gifts!)
Cost: $15 (the calendar includes pages of regional coupons) Please collect payment at the time of sales, checks can be made payable to Hermann Middle School
Questions? Contact Cheryl Schwartze (573)486-3121 x1119 or email@example.com
Ongoing Fundraising Efforts
Please keep in mind a couple of easy ways to raise funds for HMS.
1. Boxtops for Education
2. Shutterfly- start your order at our storefront and 13% of each purchase will be sent to HMS.
Visit our Storefront: hermannmiddleschool.ShutterflyStorefront.com
3. Best Choice UPC's
October 9-13- National School Lunch Week
October 9-12- 7th and 8th Grade Girls Basketball Tourn. @ St. James/ Owensville
October 9- Student Day off for Staff Professional Development
October 10- Cross Country at Owensville
October 13- 5th Grade Field Trip
October 13- 7th and 8th Grade Field Trip
October 15-20- National School Bus Safety Week
October 16- 7/8 Grade Girls Basketball @ Sullivan
October 17- 7/8 Grade Girls Basketball @ New Haven
October 19-26- Scholastic Book Fair
October 19- Reading and Math Parent Night, 5:30 at Hermann Elementary
October 19- 7/8 Grade Girls Basketball cs. Union
October 20- November 10- Cardinal Calendar Sales
October 22- 28- Red Ribbon Week
October 23- 7/8 Grade Girls Basketball @ Pacific
October 24- 7/8 Grade Girls Basketball @ Union
October 25- 6th Grade Field Trip
October 26- 5th Grade Fall Parties
October 26- 7/8 Grade IntramuralsOctober 26- Early release (1:05 dismissal)
October 26- Parent-Student-Teacher Conferences (2:00-7:00)
October 27-30- Fall Break