- Kulshan Choir Concert: 7:00 pm on Tuesday, June 4th in the Whatcom Middle School Auditorium. Students arrive by 6:30 pm and meet in the Band Room.
- Kulshan Orchestra Concert: 7:00 PM on Wednesday, June 5th in the Kulshan Commons. Students should arrive by 6:30 PM. Remember your uniform (black bottoms, white tops), music, and home instrument if you have one.
- Kulshan Band Concert: 7:00 PM on Thursday, June 6th in the Kulshan Commons. Students should arrive at 6:20 PM. They should be wearing all black.
Summer Time at the KMS Library!
Exciting news from the library! No more lonely books on shelves this summer. Students will be able to check out up to 10 books at the end of the year. Time to stock up for some vacation reading! Students can also swap out books on July 23-24, from 11 am to 3 pm. All books are due back by the first day of school. To participate, students must turn in all current checkouts by June 13, and turn in a parent permission form. Paper forms are available in the library.
- · For current 6th and 7th graders: Check out 10 books June 14-20, swap out (if you want) on July 23-24, and return books at the start of next school year.
- · For incoming 6th graders: Come to KMS July 23-24 and check out some books! Return them at the beginning of the year.
- · For outgoing 8th graders: As long as you are going to high school in the Bellingham School District, you may participate. Check out 10 books June 14-20, swap out (if you want) on July 23-24, and return books before school starts next fall.
End of the Year PTSA Volunteer Opportunities
The end of the school year is almost here, and there are many fun activities happening! Events include field trips, the Summer Send off, and the 8th Grade Celebration. Please “like” the KMS Facebook page and check your email to get updates. link for Facebook Thanks to the Kulshan Community, the KMS Food Pantry has been a great success. To donate food or cash for students in need, please click here.
8th Grade Field Trip, Celebration & Dance
Blue Skies for Children Shoe Distribution
Blue Skies for Children will be distributing free, brand new shoes and socks to children living in Whatcom County. Families who are experiencing unstable housing, financial distress can make an appointment, along with families with foster children or relative placement. Families can make an appointment by calling 360-756-6710 from 10:00 AM – 4:00 PM on Monday – Thursday. Flyers are available in the main office at Kulshan Middle School.
Summer Scholarships Available
Did you know that the Bellingham Parks and Rec – Leisure Guide offers scholarships to students? These $200 scholarships can be used for an aquatic center pass or any activities that Parks and Rec has available. Each qualifying family can apply for $200 for each member of the family. Applications are available here in English. And in Spanish.
Sports for Incoming Freshmen
Are you heading into high school this Fall 2019? Did you know there are multiple free sports practices and camps you can participate in this June, July, and August? Check out the information here. Or look at your high school’s athletic page and the sport you are interested in for even more up-to-date information.
Whatcom County Youth Pride Week includes Pride Parade and Festival on June 9
The first annual Youth Pride Week of Whatcom County will take place the first week of June, culminating on Sunday, June 9 with a Youth Pride Parade and Festival. Whatcom Youth Pride activities throughout the week include:
- Queer Youth Karaoke from 7 to 9 p.m. on Tuesday, June 4 at the Make.Shift Art Space;
- Screening of “The Most Dangerous Year” at 5:45 p.m. on Wednesday, June 5 at the Pickford Film Center;
- Poster-making and Parade Prep Party at 6 p.m. on Thursday, June 6 at the Ground Floor at First Congregational Church;
- Community Pride Picnic for Whatcom County LGBTQ+ youth, families and community from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Saturday, June 8 at Squalicum Creek Park; and
- Youth Pride Parade and Festival from 10:30 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Sunday, June 9 at Bellingham High School.
The June 9 parade begins at the corner of Cornwall and Halleck near Bellingham High School. If you want to join the parade, arrive at 9:45 a.m. in the Habitat for Humanity parking lot on the corner of Cornwall and Halleck. Adults and community members are invited to volunteer or “adopt a block” as spectators. Families of LGBTQ+ identified youth are invited to march with their children in the parade. After the parade, all Whatcom County families and community are invited to a kid-friendly festival in the Bellingham High Commons. Sign up to participate, volunteer or sponsor the parade today! Additional information is available at whatcomyouthpride.com. Whatcom Youth Pride Week and the parade was made possible with a Project Neighborly grant from the Whatcom Community Foundation.
Preliminary update from the Attendance Areas PreK-12 Standing Committee
The Attendance Areas PreK-12 Standing Committee is still developing its formal recommendation to the superintendent; however, its members wanted to provide a preliminary update. After additional discussion and two polling exercises, the committee reached consensus to recommend option 1 and eliminate option 2. The committee is interested in doing some additional work on some of the recommended school boundary changes prior to the recommendation being submitted. The committee is planning to meet in June to finalize boundaries of option 1 and submit its recommendation to Dr. Baker in the coming weeks.
Requesting Peonies and Irises
The Kulshan community garden is interested in donations of peony and iris flower starts. Keep us in mind in the fall if you divide or separate plants. You can drop off the starts in room 304, in our Garden, or you can email Julie.Bennett@bellinghamschools.org
2019 Youth Peace Poetry Contest
Kulshan Office Hours
Attendance 8:45 AM - 4:30 PM
Counseling 8:45 AM - 4:00 PM
Kulshan Middle School 1250 Kenoyer Drive Bellingham, WA 98229 360-676-4886