Compass Staff Update
July 9, 2014
This Week's News:
- Arian, our Office Manager, is now working with us at the Charter Center! We are so happy to have her with us everyday. She is working on getting records for all of our incoming students, setting up student files, and getting our office organized. Thank you, Arian!
- We will visit Materials for the Arts tomorrow to "shop" for free arts materials for our school. We are excited to share our finds with all of you! Please email Brooke if you have any specific items you would like us to keep an eye out for.
- Michelle and Brooke completed another round of home visits this week. The final assessments will be held this Saturday and Saturday, 8/2. Once these assessments are completed, we will make the class lists. We are glad to have so much information about each child to help us create heterogeneous groupings.
- The Executive Leadership Team (aka Michelle, Brooke, and Todd) is now working daily from 8am until 6pm at the Charter Center. We are focusing on our pre-opening tasks as well as curriculum development. This week we made a plan for completing the final items needed before we can open our doors for the first day of school.
- The State Education Department (SED) will visit Compass on Monday, August 18th for our Pre-opening visit. This will be a half day visit and the representatives will make sure we have everything in order for our students. We will provide more information about this visit during Staff Institute.
- Our classroom furniture has been ordered from Community Playthings! The furniture will be delivered the Friday before Institute begins.
Donors Choose Giving Page: Please share with your friends and family
We created a Compass Giving Page on Donors Choose so our friends and supporters will be able to see all of the proposals for our school in one place.
Here's the link to the giving page:
Please note that proposals can only be posted for 4 months and our school will not receive any of the materials requested unless we raise the entire amount for each proposal. In order to be as successful as possible, we kindly ask that you share our giving page with your networks, including your friends and family. Also, please note that all of the proposals that are being created at this time include materials that will be used by all 100 of our incoming students.
If you are interested in helping by creating a Donors Choose proposal, please email Brooke. Thank you!
What We're Reading This Week:
Below are some articles we have found interesting since our last update. Feel free to send us any articles you would like to share and we will include them in our next update.
Also, we share many articles from our Twitter feed. Please follow us if you aren't already.
Disclaimer: We are not endorsing anything in these articles. We are simply sharing them because we thought you might like to read them.
Monthly Family Gatherings: Mark Your Calendar!
Our next two Family Gatherings will take place on July 26th and August 23rd. We will send info about location and time before each event.
If you are interested in planning or helping to plan one or both of these events, please email Brooke (email@example.com).
Compass Charter School
Our office at the Charter Center: 212-437-8372
Brooke Peters, Co-Director of Curriculum and Instruction
Michelle Healy, Co-Director of Curriculum and Instruction
Todd Sutler, Co-Director of Strategic Development