How Phytochemicals & MyPlate Help!
By: Christian Disidore
Why should we eat them?
Is part of the red group. It helps protect against cancer. Tomatoes are very good examples of lycopene.
Allicin helps protect against heart disease and cancer. It is apart of the white/tan/brown color group. Some examples are Garlic, and Onions.
Indoles are apart of the green color group. It helps protect against cancer. Some examples are Cruciferous foods like cabbage, broccoli, and cauliflower.
- Provides practical information to individuals, health professionals, nutrition educators
- The food industry is here to help consumers build healthier diets with resources and tools for dietary assessment, nutrition education, and other user-friendly nutrition information
- As Americans are experiencing epidemic rates of overweight and obesity
- The resources and tools of My Plate can empower people to make healthier food choices for themselves, their families, and their children.
Strachan Gelatin Salad
1 (3 ounce) package orange flavored Jell-O® mix
1 (16 ounce) containercottage cheese
1 (8 ounce) tub frozen whipped topping, thawed
1 (10 ounce) can mandarin oranges, drained and halved
1 (8 ounce) can pineapple tidbits, drained
1/2 (4 ounce) jar maraschino cherries, drained and halved
1/3 cup chopped pecans(optional)
Mac & Cheese Veggie Chicken Casserole
- 4 Tbsp. Country Crock® Spread, melted, divided
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 8 ounces dry rotini pasta, cooked and drained
- 2 cups diced cooked chicken
- 4 cups assorted frozen vegetables, thawed
- 2 1/4 cups finely shredded low fat cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup plain dry bread crumbs
- 1 Tbsp. grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 400°. Combine 3 tablespoons Country Crock® Spread, milk, rotini, chicken, vegetables and cheddar cheese in 8-inch baking dish.
- Combine bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese and remaining Spread in small bowl; sprinkle over top of casserole.
- Bake until heated through and crumbs are toasted, about 30 minutes
Spicy Chicken Caesar Salad
- 1 2/3 cups creamy Caesar dressing
- 1/4 cup FRANK'S RedHot® Original Cayenne Pepper Sauce
- 4 (5 oz.) boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
- 12 cups romaine lettuce,torn
- 2 cups halved cherry tomatoes
- 1 cup Pitted black olives
- 1 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup FRENCH'S® Crispy Fried Onions
MIX Caesar salad dressing and Frank's RedHot Sauce. Reserve 1 cup mixture for dressing.
POUR remaining dressing mixture over chicken in deep dish. Chill, covered, for 1 hour.
GRILL chicken 10 to 12 min. until no longer pink in center. Slice chicken.
ARRANGE lettuce, tomatoes, olives and Parmesan cheese on 4 dinner plates. Top each plate with sliced chicken and French Fried Onions, dividing evenly. Serve with reserved dressing.