The Judicial Branch
Do You Have What it Takes?
People to Work With
How Do I Become a Member??
The Process to Become a Member
What Will I Do?
What is their Job?
What types of Cases Do they Hear?
Original Jurisdiction: The Power of a Justice to hear a case for the first time.
Appellate Jurisdiction: The Supreme Court reviews the decision made by a lower court. They cannot change whether you are guilty, but they can change your penalty.
Examples of Cases
- A school district is accused of racial discrimination.
- A person who has been charged with murder, claims that the death penalty is unconstitutional.
- A citizen sues to prevent state funds from being used by religious schools.
- A diplomat from another country claims certain rights under a treaty.
- Florida and Georgia dispute the rights of the St. Mary's River.