CLX Buzz 11/7/19
The Claxton Elementary Family Newsletter
What's the Buzz?
- Coming Soon at Claxton...
- Winter Clothing Exchange--Drop Off Items through Tues, Nov 12
- ACS Craft Fair This Saturday at the Salvage Station
- Thanks-for-Reading Event Info & Volunteer Needs
- Alice in Wonderland, Jr. Musical Info & Online Ticket Sales
- ACS Magnet School Enrollment for 2020-2021
Volunteering at Claxton
- CLX on Social Media
- Quick Links
Coming Soon at Claxton...
Thursday Flyers (Check your Claxton folders!) - Info about Thanks-for-Reading Lunch and Alice in Wonderland Jr. Musical
ACS Craft Fair - Sat, Nov 9, 12pm-7pm at Salvage Station
NO SCHOOL - Mon, Nov 11 (Veterans' Day)
Alice in Wonderland, Jr Performances - Fri, 11/15; Sat, 11/16; Sun, 11/17
Thanks-for-Reading Lunch and Book Fair - Wed, Nov 20
NO SCHOOL - Wed, Nov 27 - Fri, Nov 29
Holiday Meal Day - Wed, Dec 18
Winter Clothing Drive Extended Through Tues, Nov 12
ACS Craft Fair This Saturday, November 9! Support Our Schools and Artist Community and HAVE FUN!
Artists in our community are coming together to support our ACS schools through an awesome handmade art and craft fair next Saturday, Nov 9 from 12pm-7pm at the Salvage Station on Riverside Dr. There will be vendors inside and outside. Come out and join in the fun, enjoy some great music, and shop to support our local schools and artist community! Invite your friends and family and spread the word! You can share the event on Facebook HERE.
If you're interested in participating as a vendor (or know someone who might be), there's still space for outdoor vendors who can bring their own easy-up tents. Outside vendor fees are $75 for community vendors and $37 for ACS teachers, staff and students. We invite teachers, staff, students, family members, and community members to apply as vendors. Vendor booth fees go directly to support participating Asheville City Schools. Vendors pay a registration fee but then keep all of their profits made at the event.
Contact information: Tricia Johnson firstname.lastname@example.org or 828-231-4078
Please fill out the quick application form HERE and Tricia will be in contact with further details. Thank you for your support!
Claxton's Annual Thanks-for-Reading Event
Volunteers Needed for Thanks-for-Reading Lunch!
Claxton's annual Thanks-for-Reading Lunch for students and families will be Wed, Nov 20. We’ll also have a one-day book fair in the Media Center! Invitations and information for each grade level's lunch and activities will be shared soon. We need volunteers to help at the welcome table and book fair. If you’re able to share an hour on either side of lunch with your student(s), please SIGN UP HERE! Thank you for considering!
1) Volunteers are needed for the Book Fair in Claxton's Media Center.
2) We're also looking for volunteers for the Welcome Table in Claxton’s Lobby. Volunteers will help parents sign in, hand out name tags, and help families find their way to students' classrooms.
Taking the Stage at Claxton Next Weekend...
Online Ticket Sales for Alice in Wonderland, Jr.!
Purchase your tickets in advance through this link for Claxton's Alice in Wonderland, Jr. Musical! Online ticket sales will close at the end of the day on Thursday 11/14. If you purchase online you will come to WILL CALL table in lobby to check in before the show.
Tickets are $5 per Adult, $2 per Child (2-17 yr; Under 2 and sitting in lap are Free). The money for this year’s ticket sales goes towards next year’s show (scripts, royalties, props, etc).
If you need to purchase tickets after online sales closes- you will need to go to the CASH SALES line in the lobby, before the show.
On the night of the show:
The left side of the line will be WILL CALL: online pre-sale tickets and comp tickets for actors and set crew only. This will be a checklist- no physical tickets to hold.
The right side of the line will be CASH SALES only- day of show purchases of tickets only. (You will not be able to buy and do "will call" in the same line.)
ACS Magnet School Enrollment for 2020-2021
Chaperoning and Other Volunteering at Claxton
1) Whether you're a new or returning Claxton volunteer, an online background check is needed each year to volunteer in any capacity with students at school or as a supervising chaperone on field trips. It takes about 5 minutes to start your background check but can sometimes take 2-3 weeks for checks to be approved. You cannot volunteer until your background check has been approved, so jump over to this link to get yours started. https://bib.com/SecureVolunteer/Asheville-City-Schools/
2) Also, all volunteers need to attend a brief (~30min) Level II volunteer training with Asheville City Schools before you can volunteer at Claxton. The training is a one-time requirement (not needed each year) and this year's schedule is set so you can go ahead and check the calendar. Please see below for the next training sessions or check this year's full calendar HERE. Trainings take place in the Boardroom at Asheville City Schools' Central Office at 85 Mountain Street unless otherwise noted. No registration is required to attend the training.
Wednesday, December 11, 2019, at 12:00 PM
Please contact email@example.com if you have any questions or are interested in exploring volunteer opportunities at Claxton!