Carver Middle School Newsletter
October 11, 2020
Good luck to all of our families who are sending children back to school tomorrow throughout our feeder pattern elementary schools. We wish the best to our future Cougars and their families on a fantastic return to school!
Thank you all very much for an awesome week and for all of your support during MAP testing over the last two weeks. As a reminder Friday, October 16, is now a full day of school. It was scheduled to be a three hour early release day on the CCPS calendar. This has been updated and it is now a full day of school.
Our daily schedule has been updated slightly as cohort 2 returns to school. The schedule is updated below. Essentially our Flex block has been shortened to correspond with our normal dismissal time.
Please see the newsletter below for additional information and updates.
Thank you for your support and have a great week!
Anthony J. McLaurin, Sr., Ed.D.
G.W. Carver Middle School
Return to Learning
Thank you very much to everyone who has completed the Carver MS Return to School Survey If you have not completed this survey, please do so by this Thursday, 10/15/2020. Survey results will assist with critical information as we prepare for our return to in person instruction.
Carver Library! Updates from Mrs. Fontana!
Carver Curbside Library: Students can preorder library books for checkout by going to the Carver Library Canvas page and clicking the PINK paw. Follow the directions to search our books and put one or two books on hold for checkout. A librarian will check books out for the student, and have them packaged for curbside pickup outside door #6 on the bus loop side of the building on Wednesdays from 9:00-1:00. Look for the tent to pick up your books. It's very simple to check out new books and/or return any old books, even though you can't actually visit the library yet. Keep the pages turning and escape with a great book from our Carver library!
ALL LIBRARY BOOKS FROM LAST YEAR SHOULD BE RETURNED TO SCHOOL AS SOON AS POSSIBLE. BOOKS CAN BE DROPPED OFF AT DOOR #6 ON WEDNESDAYS BETWEEN 9:00 AND 1:00 AT THE CURBSIDE TENT OR IN THE MAIN OFFICE DURING REGULAR SCHOOL HOURS MONDAY THROUGH FRIDAY.
2020 - 2021 Virtual Bell Schedule-October 12-November 6, 2020
Office Hours- 7:25 am - 7:55 am
First Block- 8:00 am - 9:10 am
Second Block- 9:15 am - 10:25 am
Third Block- 10:30 am - 11:40 am
Lunch- 11:45 am - 12:15 pm
Fourth Block- 12:20 pm - 1:30 pm
PAWS Time- 1:30 pm - 2:05 pm
Carver is having a BOOK FAIR!!!!
More details are coming soon.
Oct 16- Full School Day (No longer a 3 hour early release)
Oct. 25-Nov. 8- Virtual Book Fair
Oct. 30- End of the First Marking Period
Nov. 2-Parent-Teacher Conferences-11 am-7 pm. No School
Nov. 3- Election Day- No School
Nov. 9- Cohort 4 Students are scheduled to return to school
Carver Attendance Line
Congratulations Ms. Birnbaum!
Carver MS Social Studies teacher Ms. Birnbaum received a Game Changer Award from our Superintendent, Dr. Daugherty this week. She is an awesome teacher and is well deserving of this recognition!
Thanks to our dedicated teachers!
Cougars are ready to learn!
Virtual Career & Resource Fair!
The first hour (9:00 AM - 10:00 AM) is reserved for veterans.
Anyone interested can register here: https://vcwcapvirthiringevent.easyvirtualfair.com/#
Chromebook Support Desk Schedule - Oct. 12 - Oct. 15
Monday, October 12th
3:00 pm - 4:30 pm at Monacan HS (11501 Smoketree Dr.)
Tuesday, October 13th
8:00 am - 9:30 am at L.C. Bird HS (10301 Courthourse Rd.)
Wednesday, October 14th
5:00 pm - 6:30 pm at Monacan HS (11501 Smoketree Dr.)
Thursday, October 15th
3:00 pm - 4:30 pm at L.C. Bird HS (10301 Courthourse Rd.)
Carver MS School Counseling Assignments 2020-2021
Welcome to Mrs. Cathy Whitaker our new School Counseling Coordinator! Please see below for your Counselor's contact information. Sixth grade students are assigned counselors based on last name. Please complete the Carver Schedule Request Form if your child's schedule needs to be adjusted and the appropriate counselor will contact you ASAP.
Mrs. Redding A - Kfirstname.lastname@example.org
Mrs. Whitaker L - Zemail@example.com
Mr. Cunningham- firstname.lastname@example.org
Message from our School Nurse Mrs. Geisz
Here are a few reminders from the school clinic, even though we are starting school virtual all of the following are still required for this school year:
1. Proof of immunization: For a complete list of all required immunizations please see the Virginia Department of health link https://www.vdh.virginia.gov/immunization/requirements/ There are 2 Middle School specific requirements. Note :Effective July 1, 2019, a booster dose of Tdap vaccine is required for all children entering the 7th grade. Also note: Effective October 1, 2008, a complete series of 3 doses of HPV vaccine is required. The first dose shall be administered before the child enters the 6th grade, however with HPV, after reviewing educational materials approved by the Board of Health, the parent or guardian, at the parent’s or guardian’s sole discretion, may elect for the child not to receive the HPV vaccine.
2. Immunization records can be faxed to 804.520.0189 to the School Nurse.
3. Update Individual Health service plan: If your child lives with any of the following:
- Life-threatening allergies
- Or any other health concern that requires medication or specific health related procedures while in school please make sure that we have an updated health service plan and/or medication administrations forms. Required forms can be found here https://mychesterfieldschools.com/family-and-community-engagement/preparing-for-school/student-health-and-safety/
4. Please keep in mind due to COVID 19 the use of nebulizers will not be allowed this school year, so please make sure to discuss plans for treatment with your physician if your child has asthma.
I am looking forward to supporting your child to be safe, healthy and ready to learn at Carver Middle School! If you have any questions or concerns, please don’t hesitate to email me at email@example.com or call me at 804.524.3620 ext.143.
Get a library card over the phone!
Check out this exciting information from the Chesterfield County Public Library!
This will give you access to so many more ebook titles!
Self-Care During COVID-19
Please take a look at the COVID-19 Resources link. As we are all dealing with difficult times children and adults both may benefit from ideas and resources to help us to cope positively with our present reality.
Use the PTA website at: https://carverpta.ptboard.com/ to sign up.
1. Log in or create an account.
2. On the "Join School" pop up screen enter code: 9XKCHR.
3. Sign up to assist with events, purchase spirit wear, raise funds and assist the PTA in supporting our students!