May 2, 2016
Bond Election 2016 Update: Early Voting Begins Monday, April 25
Early voting will be held April 25-30 and May 2 and 3. Hours vary depending upon the day of the week. With this election, voters will decide on a $481 million bond proposal which, if approved, will provide funding toward eight major project areas with no increase to the tax rate. Campuses will be impacted through district-wide security updates, renovations and facility upgrades, as well as technology improvements. Find out more, including specific project allocations, at www.pisd.edu/2016bond.
Early Voting Dates and Times:
· April 25, 26 & 27: 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
· April 28: 8:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m.
· April 29 & 30: 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
· May 2 & 3: 7:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m.
· More voting information and early voting locations are available on the Collin County elections website:
For More Information:
· Plano ISD community members are invited to attend bond information meetings on April 25 and 28. Superintendent Dr. Brian Binggeli will present information and answer questions. Meetings will be held from 6:30 to 8:00 p.m. at the Vines High School (April 25) and Shepton High School (April 28).
Additional Online Resources:
· Bond Election (main page): www.pisd.edu/2016bond
· Bond Overview Video: http://tinyurl.com/h76me8j
· Bond Overview Flyer: http://www.pisd.edu/news/bond.programs/2016bond/documents/BondOverview.pdf
· Frequently Asked Questions (English): http://www.pisd.edu/news/bond.programs/2016bond/FAQ.shtml
· Frequently Asked Questions (Spanish): http://www.pisd.edu/news/bond.programs/2016bond/documents/FAQ_Spanish.pdf
· Project List (English): http://www.pisd.edu/news/bond.programs/2016bond/documents/Proposed_Project_List.pdf
· Project List (Spanish): http://www.pisd.edu/news/bond.programs/2016bond/documents/Project_Summary_Spanish.pdf
· Bond Presentation - http://www.pisd.edu/news/bond.programs/2016bond/documents/Bond_2016_Presentation.pdf
The boys are fighting for a spot in the playoffs. Come support Plano Baseball!
Lady Wildcats won their first of three games Thursday night and will play today unless there is a rain delay. If so, they will play Saturday.
The Regional Track Meet is under way!
I. Prom and After Dark
Thank you to all of the staff members who assisted with Prom and After Dark.
II. Phone Calls:
Now is the time to make phone calls to parents of any student who is in danger of failing for the semester. Start with the parents of seniors -- a live conversation. Then, send a quick email to the counselor that the call has been made.
III. Senior Awards
Submit nominations/information to Andy Jacobs ASAP.
IV. Books. Keep track of books. All books need covers. These were brand new issues this year, so take careful notes on the condition as they are turned in at year's end.
V. Important information about May 27:
May 27th Second Inclement Weather/Professional Development Day
May 27th is listed as a “Teacher Work Day/Professional Development Day.” Campuses will design professional development experiences for staff on this day and/or it can be a teacher work day. Teachers should be in attendance to work on this day; however, if a teacher requests an absence, the following guidelines will be used:
Board Policy DEC Local addresses this under “Schedule Limitations”
“Discretionary use of leave shall not be allowed on the first day of school, the day before a school holiday, the day after a school holiday, days scheduled for end-of-semester or end-of-year examinations, days scheduled for state-mandated assessments or other District-approved tests, or professional development days.
The principal may approve use of personal leave on these days after considering the effect of the employee’s absence on the educational program or District operations, as well as the availability of substitutes.”
VI. Important information about June 6, 2016:
Teacher Work Day
June 6, 2016 is listed as a Teacher Work Day. Teachers have three options for June 6, 2016:
- · Teachers can work June 6, 2016.
- · Teachers can document 7.5 hours in lieu of working on June 6. The 7.5 hours are time spent in campus professional learning that are outside of the typical campus work day. For this year only, teacher may use their designated activity (Homecoming, Prom, or Graduation) towards their 7.5 hours. These are hours that a teacher can document from August 2015, until the end of the year.
- · Teacher could use a personal business day in lieu of working June 6, 2016.
Teachers document these hours and submit the documentation to Sallye McDowell.
VII. Below is a document put together by the district with FAQ's regarding next year's days of flexible professional development.
VIII. Also, on @pshstxlearns, you will find more articles about mindfulness, technology, and various classroom activities that have recently been posted.
IX. District Spirit Wear
The Plano Principals' Association sells spirit wear to raise money for scholarships. You can still order PPA Spirit Wear from Moonlight Threads. http://www.moonlightthreads.com/product-category/school-spirit/plano-isd/plano-principals-association/
Part II is fairly straightforward.
Part III is about professional development. Please use question 7 to reflect on your experience in Instructional Rounds, Collegial coaching, or Videoing your own lesson. What did you learn? How did it change your practice?
As you know, we will be moving into a new appraisal system next year called T-Tess. It encourages self-reflection and professional growth. Use question 9 to identify some potential areas of your practice to refine.
Please complete this portion of PDAS by April 30. Thanks.
Spanish for Educators
We are having our Spanish for Educators summer mini-course again! (Please see attached flier) It is offered only for PISD staff.
A quick view about the levels offered this time:
The Beginners group will cover the basics of Spanish grammar, vocabulary, pronunciation, writing, reading, present indicative, cultural differences.
The Intermediate group pre-supposes the participant already went through basics (Spanish grammar, vocabulary, pronunciation, writing, reading, cultural differences) and want to go deeper (past indicative, command mode, conditionals, culture, etc). Conversation and reading are part of the program but not the center of it.
The Advanced group is for those who already went through intermediate level (past indicative, command mode, conditionals, etc) and want to complete the curriculum (perfect tenses, subjunctive, culture, etc). Conversation and critical reading are part of the program but not the center of it. Specific vocabulary and phraseology will be practice.
As previous years, you will get CU hours for it.
If interested, please contact Rina Nittolo, and register in the level you will attend by 6/5/2015.
April 30 -- Prom, Southfork
May 2 -- Last day for PO requests, Retail Card Requests and petty cash. Also last day to accept personal checks from parents or students (lost items, fees, transcripts, etc.).
May 2-13 -- AP Testing
May 6-7 -- Music Corporation, 7:30 p.m., "Sing2016"
May 12 -- Teacher of the Year Gala
May 13 -- Senior Lunch, Gym
May 13-14 -- Percussion Spettacolo Performance
May 16 -- Senior Awards Night
May 17 -- Spring Choir Concert
May 20 -- Blood Drive
May 20 -- Pops by the Pond, orchestra final concert, 7:00 p.m.
May 23 -- Evolution, Electric Orchestra, final concert, 7:30 p.m.
May 26 -- Final Pep Rally of the year
May 25-26 -- Final Band Concert -- Prism concert
May 27 -- Professional Development/Work Day (Student Holiday)
May 30 -- Memorial Day Holiday
May 31 -- Retirement Celebration -- See below.
May 31-June 3 -- Final Exams
June 9 -- Graduation
Plano Senior High School
Plano Senior High School Website:
PSHS PTSA Website: