CVE Friday Flash
December 8, 2023
Mr. Macken's Message
I extend my sincere gratitude to the Centerville Parent Teacher Association for orchestrating this year's fantastic fundraiser. The children had a blast with the delightful rewards and prizes. The anticipation is building for the grand Silly Stringing of Mrs. Hamblin, Ms. Shaw and Ms. Mishler, our 4th grade team, and the pieing of myself by students from Mrs. Allison, Mrs. Reisdorf, Ms. Mishler's class. These events will take place on December 22nd during our all-school sing-along. Rest assured, we'll capture these memorable moments on tape and share them in an upcoming Friday Flash.
A big shoutout to all families for your incredible generosity! Together, we raised nearly $17,000. A portion of this fund will be dedicated to creating a new sensory pathway within the school. This initiative aims to provide our kids with enjoyable breaks while incorporating a touch of fun.
Thank you for making this fundraiser a resounding success! Have a wonderful weekend.
Dates to Remember
- Dec 22 - Holiday Sing-A-Long @ 3PM
- Dec 25 - Jan 1 - No School / Holiday Break
- Jan 15: No School / Martin Luther King Jr. Day
- Jan 22: No School for Students
The 2023-24 Centerville Elementary Calendar is on our school’s website at https://centerville.isd12.org/ under the Parent Hub. Here you will also find the 2023-2024 District Student Calendar and the 2023-2024 Elementary Student Letter Day Calendar.
A Change in Reporting Student Absences
Beginning Monday, December 11, 2023, student absence requests will be submitted through Campus Parent Portal. An “Attendance Request” link will be found on the Parent Hub on your school website for easy access to the Portal and resources to assist.
Included below are a few links you may find helpful. Centerville Elementary and Centennial Middle School will begin submitting absence requests on the Portal. All other schools will continue to use the attendance form located on their website through the end of the semester.
Lost & Found
- Check out THIS link to see items in our lost & found.
- Parents can sign into the kiosk and look through the Lost & Found items from 8AM - 4PM.
Students can look through items before school or by asking their teacher.
Reminder: Unclaimed Items will be donated after school on Fri., Dec. 22nd.
Volunteer Spotlight: Kate Mereness
Library, my children’s classrooms, and anywhere else I’m needed.
Why did you decide to volunteer at Centerville?
I believe that the more support a school has the more the school and the students thrive. I wanted to be a welcoming face for not only my own children, but my children’s friends and of course the wonderful staff at Centerville.
What is your favorite part about volunteering?
Seeing the kids excited and engaged to learn.
Interested in volunteering? Sign up HERE!!
Class of 2037 - Kindergarten Enrollment Now Open!
- Don't wait! Enroll today by visiting the Centennial website.
- Comprehensive Information:
- Explore the website for details on:
- Registration and screening
- Frequently asked questions
- Important dates to note
- Student readiness
- Sneak Peek into Kindergarten:
- Enjoy short, fun videos filmed in our schools for a preview of kindergarten life.
- Valuable Resources:
- Find resources on the website, covering:
- Before and after-school care
- Busing information
- School meals
- Health and student services
- Assistance Available:
- If you need help, don't hesitate to call our main office at 763-792-5800.
Play games to practice decoding skills
To read, children must first learn the sounds that letters make, both individually and in combinations.
The next step in learning to read is to decode written words. Children decode a word by sounding out each of its letters, then blending the sounds together.
- Write Words on index cards. Take turns selecting a card and sounding out the word.
- Place packaged foods on your table. See if your child can sound out the words on the labels.
- Have a treasure hunt. Hide words written on slips of paper throughout your home. Have your child find the slips and sound out the words.
Centerville Parent Teacher Association
- We are excited to offer Spirit Wear Hijabs!
- Both the CVE and Centennial logos are available.
- All orders for in stock hijabs will be delivered before Winter Break.
Direct Drive Fundraiser
- Our Direct Drive fundraiser was a tremendous success with a total contribution of just under 17K.
- A portion of donations will be used to install a new sensory pathway at CVE. We can’t thank you enough!
December PTA Meeting – Cancelled!
- See you in 2024
Save the dates!
- CVE Night at Urban Air: January 23, 2024
- CVE Winter Dance: February 10, 2024
Check out the CPTA Website for more information.
Cougar Club Winners
We are so proud of the way these students show the 4 R’s every day!
The safety and security of our students and staff is our top priority. In order to make our school playground and ball field areas more secure at Centerville Elementary, we are closing the path that runs through our property during school hours. You may notice signage posted on the path indicating this, and I wanted you to know the reason behind the closing.
The decision to add signs and restrict usage of the path during school hours is not related to any specific issues that have happened to date. As a district, we have been working with our local safety partners on school safety strategies and this was a recommendation that has come from our ongoing work together.
Please contact 763.792.5800 with any questions.
Centerville will practice the Safety Response Protocol, Lockdown, on December 12th. Additional safety information, including information on the protocols and guidance for families, can be found on the Centennial website. Please contact me if you have any questions.
Join us for the winter session of Aquatics! The deadline to register for the next session of swim lessons is January 5 at noon.
Dec. 17- Holiday Open Skate (all ages) Centennial Ice Arena, 2-3:20 pm, $5 per person, pay at the door
Dec. 27- Centennial Cheerleading Winter Skills Clinic (gr. K-5)
Jan. 4- Mini Kickers (ages 3-5)
Winter Soccer Skills (gr. K-2)
Jan. 7- Cougar Soccer Academy (gr. K-5)
Intro to Ninja (ages 6-13)
Conquer Ninja Rec Team (ages 6-13)
Jan. 9- Mermaid Tales: Learn How to be a Mermaid (ages 6-11+)
Jan. 11- Kids Dance (gr. PreK-5)
Jan. 13- Skyhawks Basketball Camp (ages 5-11)
Go online to view all activities and to register, communityed.isd12.org.
Welcome to the Digital Backpack, the district’s central posting place for community flyers. If you have questions regarding these programs, please get in touch with the organizations directly. View the Digital Backpack online.
Kindergarten Registration is Open!
Welcome, Class of 2037! Mark your calendar: Kindergarten registration for the 2024-2025 school year opens online on December 1. We look forward to having your student and family become a part of the Centennial community. See the Centennial website for information on registration and screening, frequently asked questions, important dates to note, and student readiness. Check out the website, too, for a sneak peek into kindergarten through a series of short, fun videos filmed in our schools as well as resources, from before and after school care and busing to school meals and health and student services. Please contact your neighborhood school with questions or for more information. We look forward to seeing you!
Make a Difference and Substitute in our Schools!
Don’t miss this chance to get involved and make a difference in the Centennial School District! No experience necessary; training provided!
• Substitute Teachers (To qualify, you must have bachelor’s degree with MN Teaching or Substitute License; you can obtain a Short Call License if you have a bachelor’s degree.)
• Substitute Paraprofessionals (To qualify, you must have a HS Diploma/GED.)
Apply at teachersoncall.com; 800-713-4439. Substitutes are also needed for Kids Club, food service, custodial, administrative assistants, and nurses. More information can be found on the Centennial website.