Molasses spill at Hawaii
massive molasses spill at Hawaii
How the molasses spill effected Hawall
On Friday, September 13, 2013 at 1:42pm at the Honolulu Harbor they discovered the pipe that leads from molasses storage tanks to the ships, bursted. About 233,000 gallons of molasses into Honolulu Harbor.
Pictures of Molasses and the Molasses spill and the Honolulu Harbor
- About 233,000 gallons of the molasses that leaked from a pipeline which killed thousands of fish in just a few days.
- It was also confirmed to be the cause of mass coral bleaching and death as well.
- It also closed the Keehi Lagoon to swimmers due to possible water contamination. Coral reefs are a huge tourist attraction.
- They are still trying to determine how exactly the molasses managed to kill so many fish in the harbor.
- Local residents are still trying to grasp the extent of the damage.
- molasses: thick, dark brown syrup obtained from raw sugar during the refining process.
- contamination: is when a substance becomes impure to cause pollution.
- ecosystem: a biological community of interacting organisms and their physical environment.
- unicellular: consisting of a single cell.
Questions I have
- Why did the molasses kill so many fish?
- Why is the coral beaching in the Harbor?
- Why doesn't Hawaii block off the water.Then drain the water, fish and molasses. Then fill the Harbor back up with water?