ESC REGION 10 SOCIAL STUDIES UPDATE
Hello From Your R10 Social Studies K-12 Consultant
As we enter the holiday season I hope that this time is full of family, friends and many moments of fun and fellowship. I want to personally take this time to THANK YOU for your devotion and the time you spend each day with your students.
Please feel free to share any new resources or gems that you find or know of.
We have some exciting professional development opportunities coming soon. As always, I am always available to help you with resources and would be happy to come out and work with you to support any needs you have. Please follow us on Twitter and sign up for the Social Studies Listserv.
Look for us on Twitter - @Region10SS
Looking forward to creating a community of Social Studies Educators!
STAY UPDATED - FOLLOW #R10SOCIALSTUDIES and #R10NCSS19
If you will not be attending the upcoming NCSS/TCSS/NCGE Conference this week in Austin stay tuned to Twitter for updates and resources shared.
Follow Region 10 at @Region10SS and @KellyBellar. I will be sharing news, updates, resources and ideas using #r10socialstudies and #R10NCSS19
TEA Social Studies Updates
Update on STAAR Social Studies
- Optional online interim assessments will be available for Grade 8 social studies and U.S. History during the 2019-2020 school year.
- Summative social studies assessments during the 2019-2020 school year and thereafter will be aligned to the streamlined 2018 social studies TEKS.
- Questions from the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) civics test will be field-tested on the spring 2020 U.S. History STAAR test.
- The USCIS civics questions on the 2020 test will not be counted in the calculation of student scores and campus and district accountability ratings. They will be used for field-testing purposes only.
Holocaust Remembrance Week
SB 1828 instructs the Texas Holocaust and Genocide Commission (THGC) to develop or approve materials for a statewide Holocaust Remembrance Week, starting in the 2019-2020 school year. At the THGC’s suggestion, the Governor’s Office has chosen the week of January 27, 2020, as the date for Remembrance Week. (International Holocaust Remembrance Day is January 27, which is the date that Auschwitz was “liberated” by Allied troops.) Acknowledging that Texas students are best served when educators have choices in the shaping of instruction, the THGC leaves it up to individual school districts to observe Holocaust Remembrance Week by selecting from any of the items listed/linked on the THGC webpage for Holocaust Remembrance Week.
If you are a member of a TEKS Resource System District check out the new blog.
National Native American Heritage Month
Today: Veterans' Day (November 11)
- International Day for Tolerance (November 16)
- Thanksgiving (November 28)
Coming up in December: National Pearl Harbor Day of Remembrance
National Native American Heritage Month
An Eye On Literacy
TEKS RESOURCE SYSTEM DISTRICTS - DID YOU KNOW?
The resource is viewable when you search for a course and look at all of the resources. We are steadily adding a link in the resource section of each individual IFD. Just to remind you, we did not vet or read any of these books. We leave it to the good judgment of teachers and school leaders to choose what books may be most appropriate.
RESOURCES & WEBSITES
Check out ALL the wonderful opportunities throughout Region 10 to connect our students to local history. Stay tuned for future resources and professional development opportunities to connect with these local historical sites.
ATTENTION HIGH SCHOOL MOCK TRIAL COORDINATORS!
- Online team registration is open now! The link to register is HERE.
- HERE is a guide for how to register online.
- The registration fee is $175 per team. Checks and credit cards only. No purchase orders will be accepted.
- The schedule for the year can be found HERE.
COURTROOM ARTIST CONTEST:
- HERE is the information packet for the 2020 Courtroom Artist Contest.
- Reminder - Participation in the artist contest is not required and artists may compete without a mock trial team.
For Additional Information Contact:
Law-Related Education Coordinator
State Mock Trial Coordinator
Dallas Bar Association
Region 10 SS Consultant
The Texas Citizen Bee is a statewide civic education program & competition. See the website or contact Nicole Michener (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Kelly Bellar (email@example.com) for registration information.
Every year National History Day® frames students’ research within a historical theme. The 2019-2020 theme is Breaking Barriers in History.
SOCIAL STUDIES PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT OPPORTUNITIES
Come Join the Fun!
- 1/20 - Designing SS Lessons Using TRS as the Foundation (TEKS Resource System Districts ONLY)
- 1/22 - Economic Episodes in American History
- 1/27 - Revolution or Rebellion
- 1/28 - "Up"-ing Your Questioning Game
- 2/11 - Creating History Labs w/ the Dallas Historical Society
Stay Tuned for More...(Dates and Times TBD)
Authentic Review for 8th Grade STAAR & US History EOC
Connecting STEM and Social Studies
Spotlight on Local History
Using the 2020 Census in the Social Studies Classroom
Social Studies in a Digital World + Digital Breakouts in Social Studies
Geography is Everywhere
Integrating the Streamlined Elementary SS Standards with New ELAR Standards