Mosaica Online Happenings
January 14-18 2013
Upcoming Dates to Remember
- Friday, January 18th: End of Semester 1 (see your email and below for details)
- Friday, January 18th: Advisement meeting @ 2pm Eastern in Julie's office
- Thursday, January 31st: Parent Ed Meeting @ 8:30pm Eastern in Julie's office
- **Beginning August 28th, all adjunct teachers must submit invoices to Brenda McCullers on the 14th and 28th of the month**
Staff Spotlight - Lina Falvey
Lina is a 1st & 2nd grade teacher at the Wildomar Center in California. We appreciate you Lina so much!
I started teaching because of a strong desire to make a difference in the lives of children. My main focus was building self-esteem. My first experiences brought me to a multicultural setting where most all of the children in my class spoke second languages, I became fascinated with culture and wanted to pursue this type of environment more so than the typical school setting. I taught mostly in small private schools. After several years in second, first, and kindergarten classrooms, I started becoming recognized for my ability to teach reading and writing, with particular emphasis in comprehension and storytelling. This led to my pursuit of a master's degree in Reading Specialist. I later worked for a huge public school and became part of an administrative leadership team. I was also teaching adult education and college writing at the local community college. This all took place in Pennsylvania. Seven years ago, I moved to California and quickly got recruited to teach reading instruction in a special education school for students who were emotionally disturbed, This job was challenging and rewarding. Two years later, I decided to go back to regular education. I have taught in Montessori, private schools, and now a charter school. I love this environment, in particular, because of the strong emphasis on technology and the cultural Paragon curriculum. My future goals are to continue teaching children in a kind and nurturing environment that fosters passion and love of learning.
End of the Semester/Grading Period is Coming!
Please reach out if you have any questions or concerns - the deadlines stated are very important!
- The semester ends for AZ, CA, & CO on Friday January 18th!
Tuesday, January 15th: Final exams for MS & HS – Mathematics & Foreign Language
Wednesday, January 16th: Final exams for MS & HS- Language Arts & Science
Thursday, January 17th: Final exams for MS & HS – Paragon/Social Studies & any other electives
Friday, January 18th: All Make-up Final Exams
Friday, January 18th: Last day of Grading Period #2/Semester 1
Be sure you are......
- Be sure all gradebooks are up to date
- Follow up with the parents of any failing students
- Update the Seating Chart with all essential contacts. Include dates for each entry.
- Enter your PSAP data into individual PSAPs in Alpine
- All final exams ready and assigned as appropriate for MS and HS students in all locations
These students are reading Emperor Penguins by Roberta Edwards
This week in Art Club students are exploring digital art and animation through the interactive National Gallery of Art website. Using photos and clips from nature students have created their own unique compostions, or a series of images which they can animate. Take a moment and enjoy this wonderful compsition created by April Lowry in our Middle School Art Club!
Making your own composition is easy! Simply visit http://www.nga.gov/kids/zone/seasaws.htm
TEACHER TIP OF THE WEEK!
"Students will always need the same number of reminders or warnings they are given. Smart teachers set the limit once and follow through with actions instead of lectures."
Love and Logic ® Teacher-isms by Jim Fay and Charles Fay
What Is Going On In Other Mercury Locations?
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
Muskegon Heights, Michigan
You will receive updates here that will pertain to our students in any of these locations!
- be sure to consult the various calendars in D2L for these locations
Teachers PLEASE be sure you are keeping your D2L grade book updated. Whenever a program needs grades for a progress report, we export the D2L grade book current average. Thank you!
- grades gathered January 22 so be sure D2L is up to date
- testing January 21 - 25
- Mexican Holiday - Feb 4
- Jan 22 - MLK holiday
- Feb 1 and 4 - Prof Dev days
- Feb 18 and 19 - Winter Break
- Jan 14 - Sankranti
- Feb 25 - Mar 1 - Winter Break
- Set scaled score goals with your students by reviewing the Growth Target spreadsheets and help individual students make goals for this round of testing. Be sure to follow up with students after they've tested to encourage/praise them for all they've learned.
- Remind students that the test will spoil if they click through questions too quickly and/or use the same answer repeatedly.
- Remind students that if it does not appear that they've tried to do their very best, we may have to ask them to re-take the tests.
- Remind students that they must work independently!
- Students may use scratch paper while working on the Math test.
- There are two different reading tests in the Scantron Performance Series system. The READING FOUNDATIONS test is ONLY to be taken by grades K and 1. Everybody else takes the regular READING test.
Teachers can actively participate by keeping an eye on results as they are compiled within Scantron. You also have access to student passwords in your class roster within Scantron...please look them up for students if they are having trouble logging in. Plan a few moments to celebrate with your students after all testing is complete...be sure to make a fuss about those who have grown in their academic prowess! When students own the desire to improve, your job becomes a joyful task in taking them to the next level. :)