for the Week of February 12th
Reminders from the Principal
PTA Spring membership drive kicks off today. The 3rd period teacher with the most student families to join by Feb 23 wins a DUTY FREE, FREE lunch. PTA will sponsor a Student Social later this spring for all PTA students.
Here is a reminder of reminders for this semester:
1. If we want things to change the change starts with us.
2. All employees will be professional.
3. Attendance counts even for the adults. Attendance must be taken each class period and posted.
4. Our expectations for students have to be taught and have to be consistent across the team if not grade level.
5. All teachers are expected to be on time for school and duty.
6. Hall duty does not mean standing in a huddle and talking about the students. It means actively supervising students in all areas of the building. This includes the lunchroom. Teachers do not have a duty free lunch. Teachers are expected to monitor students to the lunchroom, in the lunchroom (including the line) and on the way back from the lunchroom.
7. All students are expected to be in the classroom when the tardy bell rings.
8. No student should be allowed out of class without a pass, period.
9. Teachers and staff are expected to be on campus all day. Permission to leave campus must be given by an administrator and only if it is school related.
10. 3rd Period Advisement and Career Prep Lessons are not optional. It is the expectation that these lessons will be delivered each Friday including when a teacher is absent.
11. Sub folders should contain emergency lesson plans for a teacher's classes including 3rd period.
All teachers are required to administer a unit assessment every 4.5 weeks and they must be labeled as a unit assessment in your gradebook. These assessments must also appear in the gradebook to reflect grades for that time period. While the expectation is that all teachers will administer at least one unit test every 4.5 weeks, the total number of assessments each nine weeks is determined by the classroom teacher. With assessments counting 75% of the nine weeks grade it behooves each teacher to have more than two. All teachers are required to have spoken to or had face-to-face contact with parents of students who have an "F" in their class BEFORE the end of each 9 weeks. It is NOT the responsibility of the EX ED teacher to make those contacts for the classroom teacher, either. These are non-negotiables.
All staff are responsible for electronic communications and items shared through the google platform. A copy of the current staff handbook for HMS is on the google drive.
We will be adding additional documents as the year progresses. "I did not read my email" or "I did not know how to access the google folders" is not an acceptable excuse.
All teachers should be uploading evidence to EducateAlabama on a regular basis. Do not wait until the last minute.
Important Reminders for the Week of February 12th Plus
Feb 12 - New 3rd period Monday-Thursday student assignments begin - Goal Setting activities with your 3rd period must be completed by Friday, Feb 16 - See the Google Classroom Assignment for more instructions and resources.
Feb 12 - Stress Management Presentations - 6th Grade - See the Calendar Invite for the rotation
Feb 12 - Timecards should be corrected and approved by 3 PM
Feb 12 - 7th Grade Parent Scantron Meeting @ 6 PM - All 7th Grade Advisement teachers are expected to be in attendance. Teachers must see Mr. Anders to be excused.
Feb 12 - NJHS Meeting after school in Room 201
Feb 13 - Faculty Meetings in Conference Room
Feb 13 - Boys and Girls Track Tryouts after school
Feb 14 - Tornado/Fire Drill - 7th Period
Feb 15 - PLUS Team Math
Feb 16 - Grades Posted by 3 PM
Feb 16 - Lesson Plans and Parent Contacts due via email to designated administrator
Feb 19 - President's Day - School Closed for Students and Teachers
Feb 20 - Faculty Meetings in Conference Room with Dr. Garner
Feb 20 - Baseball and Tennis Seasons begins
Feb 22 - Softball Season begins
Feb 23 - Last day for the PTA Spring Membership Drive (see flyer here)
Feb 26 - Black History Month Program for 8th Grade and 2nd Nine Weeks 6th & 7th Grade Awards Day students - only students with appropriate behavior from February 12 through the 26 will be eligible to attend
PLUS Team Rotation
Feb 1st - English
Feb 8th -Science
Feb 15th - Math
Feb 22nd - Social Studies
Mar 1st - English
Mar 8th - Math
Mar 15th - Science
Mar 22nd - Social Studies
Apr 5th - English
Apr 12th - Math
Apr 19th - Science
Apr 26th - Social Studies
No PLUS Team Meetings in May
Lesson Plan, Unit Assessments & Contact Log Administrators
- 6th Grade teachers, Poe, Finch, Overton, and Owens submit to Mr. Anders via email.
- 7th Grade teachers, Gonzalez, Moreno, Evans, Williams and Channel submit to Mr. Powell via email.
- 8th Grade teachers, Cerka-Wilkes, A. Smith, Kunath, Whitfield and Richards-Broome submit to Dr. Foster via email.
Lesson Plans/Parent Contact Log Calendar
February 16 (LP Feb 20 – Mar 2, PC through Feb 15)
March 2 (LP Mar 5 – Mar 16, PC through Mar 2)
March 16 (LP Mar 19 – Apr 6, PC through Mar 15)
April 6 (LP Apr 9 – April 20, PC though Apr 5)
April 20 (LP Apr 23 – May 4, PC through Apr 19)
May 4 (LP May 7 – May 24, PC through May 3)
May 25 (PC through May 24)