NEWS AND NOTES
May 1, 2022 Parent Newsletter
A Note from the Principal
- We will not have Aftercare on Friday in order to hold a Faculty Appreciation event as part of Teacher Appreciation Week.
- Please help us to recognize our many awesome Marquette teachers. We are celebrating Teacher Appreciation Week and any notes of encouragement or thanks would go a long way in recognizing our amazing teachers.
- On May 11th, we will have our make-up date for the Teachers vs. 8th Grade Volleyball game at 1:00! We will also see a great performance from our 8th grade for the school choreographed by Mrs. Ritchie!
We invite you to join us for a parent meeting on May 17th to provide information for families to understand your child’s test score, how to use these test results and how the test data will impact future instruction for your child(ren). A summary of your child’s scores will be provided in the office on May 18th for parent pick up.
We will need to finalize our order with Jostens for the yearbook to be delivered this summer/fall for the 2021/2022 school year. If you would like to GUARANTEE one for your student, please go to http://jostensyearbooks.com?ref=A06939300 and order online before April 15th. We won’t be ordering many, if any extras. So don’t delay.
Week at a Glance
-Happy Birthday Mrs. Stoermer!
-Kindergarten and 8th Grade Teddy Bear Walk
-Happy Birthday Ms. Walsh!
-6:00 SAC Meeting
-Arf: The Musical at 7:00
-3rd Grade Exploring Insects Field Trip
-8th Grade Retreat for May Crowning 8:00-10:00
-10:00 All School Mass-May Crowning!
-MHSA Teacher Appreciation celebration
Marquette K-8 COVID-19 Data
Place Your 2022-2023 School Supply Order Today!
Families may now place orders for next year's school supplies through May 30. Families are not required to use this program for school supplies, it is simply offered for your convenience.
To order, visit www.educationalproducts.com/shoppacks and enter the school ID: MAR178. Follow the directions to complete your order. Please note, that sales tax will be applied at checkout.
KINDERGARTEN: K Students will need a rest mat – please note this item is listed separately OR use your mat from ECDC (will come home end of the year).
MIDDLE SCHOOL: 6th, 7th, 8th graders will need to the following items:
- Earbuds OR headphones. You may purchase these on your own OR there is an option on the website for either as an item separate from the grade packs.
- Pens (black/blue and red)
- Washi tape of choice
Pickup will be in August..watch for more information.
I have 2 girls here at Marquette. I am hoping to organize and improve volleyball at our wonderful school! I played high school volleyball for BK, college for Duke University, coached for 18 years for Team Tulsa Volleyball Club, and 3 years for Ultimate Performance Volleyball Club. I’ve also coached 3 seasons for Cascia Hall JV, been a practice coach for the BK freshmen, coached 4 years for Marquette and coached clinics, camps, YMCA, etc. I love volleyball that much!
I am scheduling several spring OPEN GYMS at the Legacy Gym for volleyball this spring to demonstrate drills and technique to parent-coaches, and to work with kids on form and skills. Please reach out to me via email (firstname.lastname@example.org) if you are interested in coaching FALL 5th GRADE (current 4th graders) next year. I am happy to help with planning or anything else you may need and would LOVE to work with you in the gym on 4/25.
MAY 2 4:30-6:00 PM 5th grade (any interested parent coaches)
MAY 9 4:30-6:30 PM 6th grade (any parent coaches)
MAY 16 4:30-6:30 PM 7/8th grades (any parent coaches)
MAY 23 4:30-6:30 PM 5-8th grades (any parent coaches)
Coach Liz Lamers
We will be ordering our yearbooks soon and will have limited extras available for sale when they arrive this summer/fall. If you would like to order one for your student, have them check the posted lists around school to see if one has been ordered. IF you have not ordered a book and want one, please go to http://jostensyearbooks.com?ref=A06939300 and order online before May 15th. When these extras are gone – we will NOT be able to order more so don’t delay!
Summer Camp Opportunities
Summer is almost here and registration for Vacation Bible School and Totus Tuus is now open!
Vacation Bible School
Our VBS theme this year is the "Fruits of the Spirit." We will explore, through games, crafts and music, how God gives us the fruits of the Spirit to help us show others what His love looks like.
- Ages 3 to entering Kindergarten
- 9 a.m. to noon each day (lunch not provided)
Similar to VBS, Totus Tuus provides religious education in a fun and engaging environment. The program's name is Latin for "Totally Yours" and was St. John Paul II's motto, taken from St. Louis de Montfort's "True Devotion to Mary." The program has a Marian focus, with a different theme every year that ties back into Marian devotions.
- Grades 1-5 (9 a.m. to 3 p.m. each day, lunch not provided)
- Children will learn how to pray, about the importance of prayer, explore the sacraments and discover how to participate more fully in Mass.
- Grades 6-8 (9 a.m. to 3 p.m. each day, lunch not provided)
- Designed for middle schoolers, students will strengthen their faith by focusing on prayer and meditation, small-group discussions, adoration, Mass and reconciliation.
- High School Students (7 to 9 p.m.)
- Designed for high schoolers, students will strengthen their faith by focusing on prayer and meditation, small-group discussions, adoration, Mass and reconciliation.
If you would like more information or have any questions, please contact Sarah Seck. Additionally, if you are a high school student, young adult, or adult and interested in volunteering please contact Sarah.
Volunteering and Virtus
What you need to do:
- First, VIRTUS Child & Youth Protection Requirements have three components: 1.) the background check submission 2.) adherence to policies, procedures, and ethical standards, and 3.) the child & youth protection education training. Each component needs to be renewed every five years.
- Registration for First-time Users:
- Visit www.virtusonline.org.
- Select “First-Time Registrant” to create an online VIRTUS account.
- Follow the onscreen step-by-step instructions for completing the process (PDF instructions attached as well). We require all volunteers to start this process no later than two week before the date of volunteering.
- Update Existing Account:
- Registered volunteers are encouraged to login at the beginning of every school year to ensure that all personal information is correct. Upon login, your account will prompt you to complete any necessary requirements. Automated emails are sent through VIRTUS approximately one week before they expire. Please ensure that the registered email address is correct.
Yearbook Picture Submissions
May 6 MAY CROWNING
May 13 FIELD DAY
May 16-18 8TH GRADE FINALS: 12:30 DISMISSAL FOR 8TH GRADERS
May 19 8TH GRADE GRADUATION
May 20 FIELD DAY MAKE UP DAY
May 24-26 6TH AND 7TH GRADE FINALS: 12:30 DISMISSAL
May 27 KINDERGARTEN GRADUATIONMay 27 LAST DAY OF SCHOOL: 12:00 DISMISSAL / NO AFTERCARE
2021-2022 Marquette School Theme
“Joy, with peace, is the sister of charity. Serve the Lord with laughter.”
– SAINT PADRE PIO