Shoally Creek Elementary School
Weekly Update for May 2, 2016
“One looks back with appreciation to the brilliant teachers, but with gratitude to those who touched our human feelings. The curriculum is so much necessary raw material, but warmth is the vital element for the growing plant and for the soul of the child.”
~ Carl Jung ~
Shoally Creek Family Highlights!
Last week was another busy week for everyone as we continue to grow in many ways! Here are just a few of the major highlights:
*WELCOME! Our Shoally Creek Elementary family continues to grow stronger!! Please give a warm Shoally Creek Elementary School "Welcome!" to the following:
- Caroline Rodriquez Maraville (custodian)
- Jose Luis Lopez Carmen (custodian)
- Ashley Lawter (teacher)
*REQUEST: Please keep the following Shoally Creek Elementary staff members and their familes in your thoughts and prayers:
- Linda Galloway
- Nancy Needy
*DECISIONS, DECISIONS, DECISIONS: Ronnie Mills, JoAnn Hines, and I met with Keith Holden twice last week to begin preparations for the ordering of necessary custodial equipment and supplies. EVERYTHING from hand trucks, floor buffers, squeegees, floor wax & sealer, trashcans, soap & toilet paper dispenser decisions were made...including deciding on whether to get 2-ply or 1-ply! Yep...it's all about the details, right??!! (FYI...we went with 2-ply!) :)
Orientation for Pearson Social Studies Textbook - Summer 2016
From the Desk of Glenda Brown:
We have scheduled the orientation for Pearson SS text for June 8th at BSMS in the auditorium. We will run two (identical) sessions—one from 8:30-10:00 and the other from 10:30-12:00. While we are not requiring attendance, this will be the only orientation for this text and I am sure you will want to at least have school reps in attendance. I will post the 2 “courses” on the District webpage of available courses. If you forward this email, teachers should be able to access through this link:
From me (Laura): If you are interested in participating in this orientation, please sign up by the end of May. I will see what I can do in offering a little incentive for those of you that attend one of the orientations. Thank you, in advance!
Questions of the Week
What do I need to know about moving my items from my current D2 school to Shoally Creek Elementary?
BSE, HES & BSI to SCES
We are excited about making plans for your transition to SCES! If you have any questions about anything listed below, please do not hesitate to speak with your current principal, Mrs. Meyer, or Kim Ashby.
- It is not too early to begin the purging process! Teachers will only have a one-drawer file cabinet, shelves and cabinets in the SCES classrooms. So, please begin to transition to digital files instead of paper ones.
- The school dumpsters will be emptied every day beginning May 16 through the first week in June.
- Each teacher will be given 10 boxes and tape from the Maintenance Department by May 10. Please try to use the boxes that will be provided. It will be easier for the Maintenance Staff to move boxes from one school to the next if they are similar in size. Please don’t overload boxes. Additional boxes will be delivered to your school as needed.
- If you have personal items that you want to move yourself, please take those items home with you for the summer.
- Since we are opening a new school, only new furniture will be allowed in the classrooms. If you have an item that is in good condition that you would like to use in your classroom at SCES, please email Kim Ashby. She will visit your classroom to decide if the item can be moved to SCES.
- You will be given color-coded labels to affix to your boxes that will indicate your SCES room number and the hallway.
- Please move your boxes to your school’s gym prior to the date provided by your principal. If you need assistance moving your boxes, please contact your school’s custodians. Please make sure that all boxes have the color-coded label affixed. In addition, please use ribbon, string, etc. to tie around all of your items once they have been placed in the gym. The Maintenance Department wants to ensure that all of your boxes arrive in your new classroom (and not in someone else’s).
- Our projection at this point is that your classroom materials will be delivered to SCES at the end of July or the first week in August.
When will boxes be delivered to the schools and what if there is a need for more boxes and/or tape?
Shoally Creek Elementary School
3777 Parris Bridge Road
Boiling Springs, South Carolina 29316