Aiming to Keep You Informed
JUNE 4, 2021
From the Office
Congratulations to the Class of 2021! We had a wonderful time celebrating the accomplishments of our 8th grade graduates on Wednesday evening and we wish them all the best in high school and beyond! Thank you to all of the parents, guardians, and family members who joined us at Lake Park West! It was so nice to see everyone!
A huge thank you to our Westfield staff, the staffs at both DuJardin & Erickson, District Administration, and the District 13 Board of Education for all of the support they have provided our students during their time in D13! From parents & guardians to teachers and staff, our students are very fortunate to have so many champions in their corner and helping to guide them on a path to success!!
2021-2022 School year
We are in the process of building next year's schedules and will continue to do so over the summer. Typically, student schedules have been shared the week before school, on Information Day. This year, Information Day has been tentatively scheduled for Tuesday, August 17th at Westfield.
With a few of the health & safety guidelines for schools still up in the air for the fall, we are unsure at this time if students will be using lockers in the hallway or using the locker rooms to change into uniforms for PE, and our exact lunchtime and flex-time plans, among other aspects of the middle school day. Therefore, we will be communicating with you as we get closer to the start of the school year regarding these topics so students and parents know exactly what the school day will look like and the supplies students will need to carry with them on a daily basis.
6th Grade Camp - We are looking at hosting the 5th to 6th grade transition camp on August 18th - August 20th. We will share the sign-up form as soon as all of the details have been confirmed. The camp is free and has always been highly attended by incoming 6th graders, so we do encourage all incoming 6th graders to attend if possible.
Welcoming our new 6th Grade Class
Recently, we had the pleasure of visiting 5th graders at both DuJardin and Erickson. We appreciate the students and staff at both schools for taking the time out of their day. It is always an enjoyable experience for us and hopefully the incoming 6th graders feel more informed about life at Westfield and less anxious about making the transition to middle school. We are definitely looking forward to getting to know all of the new 6th graders better when we see them in the fall!
WARRIOR OF THE WEEK
Each week the staff recognizes students for demonstrating outstanding character based on attitudes or actions that fall under the Character Counts Pillars and our WARRIORS Mission and Vision.
Please visit our Google Calendar for all activities and schedules!
- LAST School Day for 6th & 7th grades: June 8th
- 6th Grade Ice Cream Truck: June 8th for A & B hybrid students also!
- 1st Summer School Session: July 5th--July 22nd (registration required)
- 2nd Summer School Session: July 26th--August 12th (registration required)
- FIRST School Day Fall 2021-22: August 25th
If you feel that your child is struggling on a social-emotional level, please do not hesitate to contact our Social Worker, Mrs. Sheila Zagotta, and she can work with you to coordinate supports for your child for both inside and outside of the classroom.
The Middle School years can be very tricky for students to navigate even during the best of times, so with a uniquely challenging year like this one, it's even more important for all of the adults in a child's life to collaborate on supporting each student's needs. We are here to help, so please reach out if we can be of assistance and we will continue to do the same!
Paper is a support that connects students in grades 1-8 to a live, human tutor in that content area via chat. Students can access this support through their school login whenever they have questions on homework, would like someone to review an essay, or need help reviewing for an assessment. Please see this video for Parent Information on Paper tutorial for more information. (Papel para Padres en Español)
Please contact the Main Office at 630-529-6211 to report any student absences. We also ask that parents/guardians notify the Main Office if your child is listed for In-Person Learning, but will be attending classes Remotely for the day. This will help us to keep accurate records of every student present in our building. Thank you!
7th Graders - Spanish Course for 8th Graders next year
All current 7th graders who are interested in taking our year-long Spanish 1 course in 8th grade next year, please complete this Spanish 1 interest form.
WESTFIELD THIS WEEK
SUMMER MATH...with PRIZES!
Instead of a summer math packet, there will be an incentive using NWEA MAP Accelerator. If your Westfield student records 300 minutes or more and has at least 8 level ups starting June 9 until August 25, 2021, they will be eligible for a prize. Good Luck and math on!
YOU CAN STILL ORDER A YEARBOOK
- Click the blue link below
- Create an account, or log in to your existing account
- Yearbooks will be shipped directly to your home
- If you need the Westfield passcode: 1014041382501890
Upcoming Student Council Events
- Bloomingdale SeptemberFest on Saturday, September 11th
Want to give someone a shout out?
Parents/Guardians: Please Call in Your Student's Absence (even if they are 'full remote')
FROM WESTFIELD TECHNOLOGY
RETURNING STUDENT ONLINE REGISTRATION IS OPEN for School Year 2021-2022!
Click the blue link for all the info you need to know:
Enrolling a BRAND NEW Student to District 13 AND Starting in August 2021?
If you need assistance from the Technology Department, please use this link to request support:
Students: Please log out of your Chromebook and log back in daily
See this video on how to log in and out of your chromebook.
Otus Student Progress for 6th Grade Parents
Get the Parent PowerSchool App
Similar to the PowerSchool Parent Web Portal, parents can download the PowerSchool Mobile App from the App store on your iOS device or the Play Store on your Android device. Simply search for “PowerSchool” to find and install the mobile app on your smartphone or tablet.
- After downloading the mobile app to your device, connect the Mobile App to the correct PowerSchool server for Bloomingdale School District 13, by entering our unique, four-character code: G M K T
- You can also search for Bloomingdale SD13 by district or school name.
- The PowerSchool Mobile App will display your child(ren)’s schedule and assignments.
- PowerSchool Mobile app users can also enable Push Notifications to receive alerts when attendance is recorded or a final grade changes. To setup notifications within the app: Tap Account, then tap Notifications to configure the notifications you want to receive. Use the slider icons to turn the notifications on or off.
- Note: Parents must have a PowerSchool Parent Web Portal account created and students linked to their account before using the PowerSchool Mobile App. Click here for instructions on how to create a parent Portal account.
FROM THE WESTFIELD SOCIAL WORKER
The Glenbard Parent Series
Join other parents, high school and middle school students, and professionals to learn about issues facing today’s youth such as Student Social Skills and Anxiety, Rethinking Parental Pressure.
The Glenbard Parent Series engages top experts, parents and school staff to become proactive and informed in pursuit of the mutual goal to strengthen our communities. Programs are free and open to the public. Coming in August 2021:
Parents, please complete this needs assessment:
Roselle Community Food Pantry
FROM THE WESTFIELD NURSE
Discard Your Masks Safely
By cutting the ear straps on your masks before throwing them away, you can prevent wildlife from getting tangled in them. If the straps aren’t snipped, the loops can easily catch onto an animal’s legs or wings, and animals can easily choke on or consume them, leading to fatal bowel obstructions.
WESTFIELD'S PARENT TEACHER ORGANIZATION (PTO)
BLOOMINGDALE PARK DISTRICT
WESTFIELD SOCIAL COMMUNICATION
- How to delete all email (6th grade)
- How to appropriately write an email
- You can only email other sd13.org email addresses
- Creating Bookmarks
- Starring and snoozing Emails
- How to Join Classroom(with Code)
- How to Join with Teacher Invite
- Check Stream and classwork page
- How to Turn in assignments
PowerSchool: Coming Soon