This Week @ PS 88Q
September 26th, 2021
A Message From Mrs. O'Shaughnessy
What to expect this week:
Arrival will transition to indoor in anticipation of the colder weather. Continue to enter through the same gate.
- Grade 4 and 5 will proceed to the auditorium (small school yard)
- Grade K and 1 will continue to enter the large yard and line up in the cafeteria
- Grade 2 and 3 (front of the building) will enter the same way and line up in the gym.
- Students in grades K-5 will be taking a diagnostic test beginning Monday, Sept. 27th. The MAP test is specific to each child (similar to I-Ready). All students in District 24 will be taking this diagnostic. I sent a letter to families this week about the MAP, requesting that your child bring their DOE device to school on the day of their test. Please see attached memo with the schedule for classes.
Covid 19 Health and Safety Protocols
- Testing has been increased to weekly. As per the DOE, every school will randomly test, on a weekly basis, unvaccinated students who have submitted consent for testing. Testing will be conducted at a threshold of ten percent of unvaccinated students per school population. This way, if there is a positive case, action can be taken right away to protect the school community. Students and staff who are fully vaccinated are not required to be tested.
Have a wonderful week!
NYCDOE UPDATE: SUBMITTING COVID TESTING FORMS
Starting Monday, September 27, the DOE will increase random COVID-19 testing in all elementary, middle, and high schools for students in grades 1-12 from biweekly to weekly. We can only test students whose parents have provided an updated testing consent form to their school. If you completed a form last year, it expires September 30, 2021. You are encouraged to provide this consent for your child if you have not done so. If you have already submitted a testing consent form for the 2021-22 school year, that consent form remains in effect. If you have not yet submitted your consent, you can do so one of three ways:
Fill out the form using your NYC Schools Account (NYCSA): schoolsaccount.nyc or
Download the form online at schools.nyc.gov/covidtesting and bring the completed form to your child’s school.or
Complete the form in Operoo (the updated form has been sent to all families through Operoo)
Please Complete the Family Income Inquiry Form
PS 88q FM-LY is back!
Our SMILE and Social Justice Committee have combined efforts to continue our own radio station. Mr. Canales, our resident DJ and creator of the most impactful and thought provoking videos for our students and for us. This week's episode, that students have viewed in class and discussed, deals with the past year and a half and the effect COVID-19 has had on them. Please watch and perhaps have the same discussion at home. To view all the past videos, subscribe to our channel PS88Q Counseling Channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHAEihtqfhfuE30-leOaMkw. Below is this weeks episode!
What word would you use to describe this past year?
What feelings do you have about this upcoming year?
What were your best school memory or moment?
Free Family Engagement Curriculum – Ready4K
Everyday Learning Moments, Tuesday September 28 at 6 pm
Ready4K is an evidenced-based family engagement curriculum shown to increase student growth by two months. The curriculum empowers families by texting them simple, achievable ways to incorporate learning into everyday moments. Families can get messages in Arabic, Chinese, English, Spanish, or Vietnamese. We have also incorporated messages linking families to NYC resources like food and health services. Ready4K comes at no cost to your families or your program.
Register here for a Fall 2021 Ready4K Onboarding Session!
Sessions take place between Sep 1 – Oct 12, 2021
Attached is the September 28th CEC24 Meeting Agenda. The meeting location will be at Public School 19 at 6:00 pm – 9:00pm. Bengali, Mandarin and Spanish Interpreters will be available in-person only. The meeting will be held thru Zoom and only in English. The information is listed below and attached.
Zoom Information: (English only).
One tap mobile
+16465588656,,87308745394#,,,,*254569# US (New York)
Dial by your location +1 646 558 8656 US (New York)
Meeting ID: 873 0874 5394 Passcode: 254569