Mooresville Middle School
Community Newsletter -- September 22nd, 2023
A Message from Mr. Kosal:
MMS is All Heart!
Greetings, Red Imp families! This is Mr. Patrick Kosal, your proud Mooresville Middle School principal. The football game this past Tuesday night was truly an awesome display of what makes Mooresville great. Fans came out in droves on both sides, our teams played their hearts out... going into overtime before a winner was decided, and positive attitudes and great sportsmanship was shown throughout. I especially appreciated the head coach of the Blue Devils football team meeting with both squads after the game to emphasize that We Are Mooresville and they'll all be Blue Devil teammates in a couple of years. Great start of a new tradition for Mooresville... but next time the Red Imps are gonna come out on top :)
Here are some of the topics in this week's newsletter:
- School Picture Days - 9/26 & 9/27
- World's Finest Chocolate fundraiser - almost over!
- Panorama Student Surveys wrap up next week
- Car-rider reminders
- Crossing Guard volunteer info for MMS
- Winter Sports tryout information
- Teacher & Staff Member of the month for MMS
- Roush Yates Open House (CTE)
- Crosby Scholars information
- MGSD Picnic in the Park event upcoming
- Upcoming Red Imp athletic events
- MHS Basketball Camp sign up
- MYA Lacrosse interest meeting on 9/30
- Charlotte Hornets night, sponsored by MMS PTSO
- and more!
Thanks so much for taking the time to read and know what's going on at MMS. Have a great weekend, Red Imp families!
Mr. Kosal, MMS principal / 6th grade (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Dr. Browning, assistant principal / 7th grade (email@example.com)
Ms. Richardson, assistant principal / 8th grade (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Ms. Miller, athletic director (email@example.com)
Progress reports were sent home today (Friday, 9/22/23) - please contact your child's teacher(s) with questions
Use the "Parents & Students" tab to find information about Lunch Prepay, Canvas help, etc.
MMS School Picture Day is coming soon!
Mark your calendars: MMS school picture days are planned for September 26th & 27th. These pictures are taken for our school yearbook and also are available for parents to buy online. Pictures will be taken during Social Studies classes on the two days according to this plan:
Tuesday, September 26th: all of 7th grade & half of 6th grade (Sci / SS rotation A)
Wednesday, September 27th: all of 8th grade & half of 6th grade (Sci / SS rotation B)
** Because of a home football game on Tuesday, all football players and cheerleaders in 6th / 7th grade may instead take a picture for the yearbook on Wednesday.
The date for school picture re-takes / make-up is November 8th.
To pre-order your child's school pictures, go to mylifetouch.com and use their Student ID or Picture Day ID (EVTBQ3K6H). Or use the QR code below for easy access.
A notice for car-rider parents:
- School begins at 7:55am. Students are expected to be inside our school building and in class by 7:55am or they will be marked tardy.
- In both morning and afternoon, please be sure to pay attention to the staff members' directions. Largely, this includes pulling all the way up to the next car and not stopping when you see your student. Students can walk to you.
- Remind students to pay attention when waiting for an afternoon pick up. Too often, the line is held up because students aren't watching and listening.
Thank you, parents, for your continued help with this process. Our goals are to a) get students home as safely and quickly as possible, and b) prevent our car-rider line from impacting Kistler Farm Road traffic.
World's Finest Chocolate Bar - MMS school fundraiser
LET’S GET INVOLVED! For the second straight year, our school is sponsoring a World’s Finest Chocolate $1.00 Bar Fundraiser to support students and staff at MMS. Parents, you could help us by selling boxes of chocolate at work, in your neighborhood, and at any functions you attend (for safety reasons, we ask that students do not go door to-door selling). All money has to be turned in no later than September 26th to be eligible for awards. Click here for more details; an informational flyer was distributed to all students during Homeroom on Friday, 8/18/23. Here's an outline of the prizes that students can win for selling chocolate:
Money Turn-In Days (8/28, 9/5, 9/11, 9/18, and 9/22): each box sold allows students to potentially win a prize including various gift cards!
NOTE: students should not be selling candy during the school day. It is a distraction in the classroom and items can get damaged / stolen, making the child responsible.
Thank you so much for your support of MMS students and staff!
If you're passionate about student safety at MMS... here's how you can help:
Panorama Teacher Feedback Surveys End Next Week
Wednesday, 9/20 - Social Studies gives Science survey
- Thursday, 9/21 - Science gives ELA survey
- Friday, 9/22 - ELA gives Math survey
- Monday, 9/25 - Math gives Social Studies survey
- Tuesday, 9/26 - Elective 1 gives Elective 2 survey (not 6th graders)
- Wednesday, 9/27 - Elective 2 give Elective 1 survey (not 6th graders)
Each survey is 34 questions and should take students 10-12 minutes to complete. More details about the purpose of Panorama student surveys can be found within this Parent Square message from 9/1/23. Thanks in advance to Red Imp students for their honest feedback to help our MMS staff improve!
Crosby Scholars is looking for new members!
MMS athletics this week:
C'mon out to support our Red Imp athletes... after all, fall sports season is almost over! Here are some things all parents and spectators need to know when attending a game:
- When attending any MMS athletic event (home or away) you will only be admitted with a clear bag, including diaper bags.
- When attending football games you will go through a security checkpoint. Please be patient as it will take some time to wand everyone so all our safe.
- MMS is a tobacco-free, vape-free, alcohol-free, and drug-free school. Spectators that cannot follow those guidelines will be asked to leave our campus.
- Admission to all sporting events (home and away) will be $5.00 for adults and students this year.
- Punch cards will be on sale at our home games for $40 each. This punch card will allow 10 admissions to home games... a $10 saving! Punch cards can be used for any home athletic event this school year.
Next week's home sporting events are:
- Tuesday, September 26 - home Football vs. West Rowan Middle
- Thursday, September 28 -- home Softball vs. West Rowan Middle
Upcoming Winter Sports Tryouts @ MMS:
How to alert MMS of a student absence:
The email address for parents to alert MMS about student absences is: MMSAttendance@MGSD.k12.nc.us
Parents can upload doctor's notes as well. We hope this process will be easier on everyone instead of sending a note with the student that can get lost easily!
PTSO event - Red Imps go see the Hornets play!
Our next MMS PTSO fundraising event for families is a Red Imp & Charlotte Hornets collaboration!
On Saturday, January 27th, the Charlotte Hornets welcome all students, faculty, and families of Mooresville Middle School as we take on the Utah Jazz! Game time is 7:00pm.
Discounted tickets are exclusively available through the link below for all members of the Mooresville Middle School community. A portion of ticket proceeds will benefit MMS with every purchase!
*All MMS attendees will receive one Hornets' T-shirt per person at the game to picked up outside of Section 112 in the Lower Level at our Designated Group Sales table. Pickup window to receive your shirt is from Doors Open - End of the 3rd Quarter. Smaller sizes tend to be popular, so please arrive early if needed.
**Everyone who purchases through this link will be included in a V.I.P experience to watch warmups from the Lower Bowl prior too doors opening once we reach 50 attendees! Instructions for participation will be sent via email used in purchase once secured.
You must purchase through this link to be considered part of any MMS group benefits. We hope to see our Red Imps at the Spectrum Center in CLT on January 27th!
This button links you to the MGSD Student Code of Conduct, where you can reference behavior infractions and consequences outlined by our district.
MMS Social Media Handles - follow us!
Email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information about how Motivators can help at MMS this year!