Join Pack 495
Let the Adventure Begin!
All about Pack 495
- Pack 495 has been serving Durham youth continuously for 55 years!
- We are also a GOLD-level unit in BSA’s Journey to Excellence Program
- We have over 15 trained and dedicated adult leaders
- We are a "Family Pack" where both boys and girls are welcome!
- All leaders are background checked and fully trained in Youth Protection
- Membership ranges between 35 - 55 Scouts, depending on whether or not our AOL Scouts have graduated to Boy Scouts
What is Cub Scouting?
In Cub Scouting, boys, girls and their families have fun and adventure in a program that builds character and instills values. Cub Scouting embraces the values of citizenship, compassion, cooperation, courage, faith, health and fitness, honesty, perseverance, positive attitude, resourcefulness, respect and responsibility. These values come to children in all parts of the Cub Scout program – all while they’re having a great time with their friends and families.
I'm Ready to join, what are the next steps?
- Dates: Any 1st, 2nd or 3rd Thursdays of the month
- Time: 7:00 PM - 8:00 PM (Times may differ for Lion cubs)
- Location: Parkwood United Methodist Church
- Address: 5123 Revere Road
- Dates: Any 4th Thursday of the month
- Location: Triangle Presbeterian Church
- Time: 7:00 PM - 8:15 PM
- Address: Triangle Presbyterian Church Gym
5001 Tudor Place, Durham, NC 27713
Who can join Pack 495?
Cub Scouts is for boys and girls who are in Kindergarten through 5th grades. Kids who are 5 or 6 and are in Kindergarten, can join as a Lion in our NEW Lion Cub Program. 1st graders can join as a Tiger; 2nd graders make up Wolf Dens; 3rd graders make up Bear Dens, and 4th and 5th grades make up Webelo and Arrow of Light Scouts.
Can Girl Be in Both Girl Scouts and Boy Scouts?
Can you tell me more about Girls in Cub Scouts?
Pack 495 and our Charter organization, Parkwood United Methodist Church, have taken the lead in South Durham to register our pack as a "Family Pack." This means we are now actively recruiting girls! This is an exciting change for our organization which has been serving families in South Durham for over 50 years. Click HERE to get the full details about Girls in Pack 495.
When and where are the meetings?
The cubs meet together, within their age level, as individual Dens, in den meetings, three times a month on Thursday evenings. Once a month, all Dens meet as a Pack, in pack meetings, generally held on the 4th Thursday of the month. Den and Pack meetings run September through May. Den meetings are held at Parkwood United Methodist Church, 5123 Revere Road. Pack meetings are normally held at Triangle Presbyterian Church, 5001 Tudor Place, both located in Durham. In addition, we usually have at least one pack-wide activity each month on a weekend. During the summer months we have one event each month. Lion Cubs will only meet twice per month at a time to be agreed upon by the Parents of the Lion Den Scouts. They will participate in age appropriate Pack wide events.
Can my child play sports and do Cub Scouts?
Teaching physical fitness and sportsmanship is one of the main goals of Scouting, and we encourage our cubs to participate on sports teams and other athletics. Additionally, cubs will earn awards and recognition for their participation in sports activities. If you have a firm commitment to sports on a Thursday night, you can either work with the den leader to stay caught up at home, or consider joining Pack 486, which meets on Tuesday nights.
How much does Scouting cost?
Each September, families pay only $65, per cub, for the year’s registration. This covers registration with BSA, Pack 495 Unit patch, rank patches and other awards. It also helps cover admittance to most of the activities throughout the year for the Scouts and their families. Also, the Pack offers scholarship(s) for one or more Scouts whose families may not be able to afford the fees. All families are responsible for purchasing the Cub Scout uniform, rank handbook, and Pack t-shirt. There are various fundraising events throughout the year which help to keep the fees low.
What kinds of activities will my son or daughter do with Pack 495?
Pack 495 has participated in a number of events over the past year including:
- Make lots and lots of friends
- Rockin’ Rocket Reunion
- Raingutter Regatta
- Fall Fishin’ Frenzy
- Family Camping at Falls Lake
- Summer Camp at Rock Quarry Park
- Scout Night at Durham Bulls with campout
- End of Summer Pool Party
- Kickball Kickoff
- Scout Night at Duke Football with campout
- Community Service: Fall PUMC Clean Up Day
- Halloween Hoot
- Great Pumpkin Smash / Treerunner Adventure Park
- Service Project: Fall Creek Cleanup
- Rock Climbing
- Sleep Aboard the USS Yorktown
- Pinewood Derby
- Scout Sunday
- Blue & Gold Banquet
- Pack Indoor Overnighter (Games/Movie/Sleepover)
- Community Service: Spring PUMC Clean Up Day
- Service Project: Spring Creek Cleanup
- Spring Family Camping at Jordan Lake
- Pack Meetings: Mad Science, Duke Life Flight, Junk Jam with Durham Scrap exchange, Catapults, talent show, and many, many more fun adventures!