Bobcat Bytes - Special Edition!
March is Reading Month!
Dear BVL Families,
5 Facts about Reading that Will Blow Your Mind!
Reading is a great stress reliever
Studies show that reading reduces stress by 68%.
Reading isn’t everyone’s strongpoint
An estimated 40% of students are considered poor readers, but by reading more, all students can continue to grow!
It all adds up
Reading just 20 minutes a day adds up to reading 1,800,000 words per year.
The fastest way to build vocabulary
Children learn 4,000–12,000 words every year by reading.
Classroom libraries create bookworms
Kids in classrooms without mini-libraries read 50% less than kids with classroom libraries. Since we are a virtual school, your mini-libraries can be built at home!
We'd like to celebrate this month by inviting your students to participate in a few events! Check out what we've got below!
Daily Activity Calendar
Each submission earns students one entry into a drawing for free books! We'll be drawing winners throughout the month. Enter as many times as you'd like!
Grades 6-12 - GooseChase!
Here are the instructions for the game:
- Download the app "GooseChase" on your device (only works on smartphones and tablets, not chromebooks).
- Use the game code LKXQZ6 to join the game.
- Be sure to create a username that is your actual name so we know who is playing/winning
- The game will officially start on Tuesday, March 1 and close on Friday, March 18.
- Once the game begins, missions will be displayed for students to complete.
- Students can keep track of their submission and points, as well as other people's.
- Check back often to see if new tasks have been added!
- Winners will be announced the week of Monday, March 21!
- Have fun!!
Book Cover Contest
Virtual Story Time
(Meeting ID: 807 219 1939, Passcode: 385980).
All students are invited to attend, but the story will be appropriate for lower elementary students.
Why We Love to Read!
Reading is exciting
Reading takes us to exciting new places, enchanted lands, and even faraway galaxies. When we read, we can be detectives, explorers, and heroes. Ever stayed up late to finish a book by flashlight under your covers? Or missed your bus stop because you were so engrossed in a chapter? Reading adds excitement to our lives!
Reading makes us smarter
Did you know that reading actually increases your brain power? It’s true! Regular reading can slow the decline of memory and brain function that comes with age. And of course, as Dr. Seuss says, “The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you'll go.”
Reading is relaxing
Even reading for just six minutes can reduce stress, according to research. In fact, reading is more calming than listening to music or going on a walk! Curling up with a good book and cup of tea (or another favorite beverage) is one of life’s great joys — and relaxers.