Week of January 13-17, 2014
Information and Reminders
- Our class did a great job on the morning news show last week . Thank you for making sure your child arrived on time.I was very proud of their hard work.
- It's hard to believe but January 13th is the end of the second nine weeks. We are now half way through the school year.
- I am attending a writing session in Columbia on Monday, January 13th. The students will not bring home writing response journals this week. The substitute will not be taking the students to the reading room to get new books.
Weekly Story : The Big Trip
-Identifying the main idea and details in a story
- reading words with long e (street, read, me, Pete)
- reading words with endings of -ng and -nk
- reading and writing questions and using question words (who, what, where, when, why, how, etc.)
- using and writing questions and statements
There will be a spelling and sight word test on Friday this week.
1. about 2. could 3. sure 4. by 5. don't 6. there
7. car 8. maybe 9. many 10. seen 11. even 12. feel
We will continue our new math unit on place value. The students will work with base ten blocks to learn how ten 'ones' make a 'ten' and 10 'tens' will make 100. The boys and girls will use the blocks to visually see how the numbers are grouped together. We will also begin to write numbers that are 'ten more' and 'ten less'.
Ex. 67, 77, 87
Mon. -practice sheet; spelling words
Tues. - practice sheet; spelling words
Thurs. - practice sheet; practice spelling test
Fri. - no reading response journal this week.