Brickie Forward COVID Update
10/21/21 COVID Information From The School City of Hobart
Dear Brickie Families,
Data For This Week In Lake County, Hobart, and the School City of Hobart!
Weekly Covid Data
7.9% 7-Day Positivity Rate
12.6% 7-Day Positivity Rate for Unique Individuals
Hobart Zip Code
48 new cases
School City of Hobart
20 positive student cases (0.48%)
44 students quarantined (1.05%)
6 positive staff cases (1.13%)
1 staff quarantined (0.19%)
Let's continue to #BeExcellentOnPurpose by using our safety measures everywhere!
Governor Holcomb re-issued a new Executive Order (EO) on 9/30/21 that references important updates to school quarantine guidance. The Indiana Department of Health has posted new guidance on their website.
The EO can be found here.
The updated guidance includes the following information:
COVID is considered a communicable disease like chickenpox. We are required to report positives and quarantines to state officials and have plans to stop the spread.
When our absentee numbers are high due to community spread, we would have to close the school.
The revised guidance eliminates the requirement of a close contact to quarantine IF the person testing positive is wearing a mask and all close contacts are wearing masks. Persons who are close contacts must be monitored for 14 days.
These guidelines, along with high community spread, result in the School City of Hobart requiring masks to be worn indoors by everyone. The weekly update will lay out the new guidance and why this measure is important. The goal is to keep students well and in school, not at home learning virtually.
We are so happy to have all of our students back in the classroom. Our students are happy to be with their classmates as well.
Please understand a very difficult decision to wear masks had to be made. We do not like wearing masks either. If masking keeps students in school versus virtual school due to quarantining large numbers, masks are the choice that has to be implemented.
Please cooperate. Be respectful of differing views.
Be a Brickie. Be Excellent on Purpose. Help us to follow the guidelines.
Covid News of Importance
• Who is eligible to receive a vaccine? Individuals ages 12+! See the Pfizer vaccine information sheet from the Indiana State Board of Health.
• For those older than 12, there are Pfizer, Johnson & Johnson, and Moderna vaccines.
• Register for a vaccine at https://ourshot.in.gov.
• Call 211 if you do not have access to a computer / smartphone or if assistance is needed.
• The SCOH Nurses are trained to do BinaxNOW testing at school for COVID. It is a rapid antigen test done by swabbing the nostrils. The IDOH will only permit trained nurses at schools to do these tests on campus (Home BinaxNOW testing results will not be accepted). Read more about it on our Brickie Forward page at www.hobart.k12.in.us/BrickieForward.
• Staff and students are eligible when symptomatic.
• Students must have a permission slip signed on file or given to us if not on file. Click here to access the permission slip.
• A positive test would result in 10 days of isolation.
• A negative test would result in return to school when symptoms subside.
Our students did everything we asked them to do last school year without complaining and thrived under the conditions we faced. I am confident they will do what we ask them to do this year if we all stick together to get through this increase in community spread. Safety and well-being are vitally important, as well as being in school to learn. They are complying this year as well. Why? When faced with virtual school due to quarantine, students will choose a mask to be at school. Let's be Brickie Strong!
The School City of Hobart did amazing last year and we will strive to do the same this year! It is vitally important that we do not ease up on safety protocol. We will continue to send weekly reports in Skyward and post updates on the Brickie Forward website (www.hobart.k12.in.us/BrickieForward) to keep you informed as to where we are with COVID data.
Thank you for continuously working as a community in taking care of each other as we get through this unprecedented time together.
Superintendent of the School City of Hobart
Be a Brickie! Be Excellent on Purpose!