Update from Kuna Superintendent Wendy Johnson
In this update:
- ➡️ Reminder: No school Friday, May 13
👀📍 Task Force looks ahead 10 years at where schools, facilities will be needed
- 🤝🏻 Please join us Thursday at Swan Falls
- 📊 Team reviewing survey results to update Kuna's graduation requirements
- 👀 Panel process starts to fill KMS position
- 🦺 Safety improvements planned near KMS
- 📌 Open Enrollment for 2022-23 update
- 🎟️ Admission prices won't rise for sporting events
- ⚾ 🥎 🎾 👟 ⛳ Sports gear up for districts
- 📅 Looking ahead
➡️ Reminder: No school Friday, May 13
Thank you for celebrating our teachers and staff this week! Next Friday, May 13, there will be no school for our students. Most of the day, our school staff will participate in professional development activities. We will take time to return to our annual "Educator of the Year," "Classified of the Year" and "Friend of Education" celebration. These recognitions are chosen by the staff at each school, and I look forward to sharing them with you in next Friday's newsletter.
📍 Task Force looks ahead 10 years to needs of schools, facilities
Members of the Capital Plan Task Force rolled up their sleeves Thursday and began shaping a vision of how the Kuna School District could look in 10 years. The group is working to identify the the major capital projects that are needed to address our growing community and the learning needs of students while also maintaining, upgrading, and updating our current facilities both for the immediate needs and the predicted needs within the next 10 years.
🤝🏻 Please join us Thursday at Swan Falls
- Our Superintendent's Advisory Council is sponsoring an information night focused on youth mental health providing parents with practical information to identify warning signs in their children, learn more about social media dangers, and connect to community resources.
- When: Thursday, May 12 at 6 p.m.
- Where: Swan Falls High School, 7300 S. Linder Road
- Who's invited: Kuna School District parents & staff
- Childcare: Yes, for children up to 5th grade
- Food: Snacks will be provided
- What: This free event includes information from:
- Experts in youth mental health, Katey McPherson and Ben Bost
- Faith-based and community activities for youth
- Resources for parents
Teams reviewing survey results to update Kuna's graduation requirements
Work is underway to review and update Kuna School District's high school graduation requirements. Thanks to all who took the recent survey. Kuna High School's parent advisory group reviewed the results this week. (Thank you to the 300+ survey takers!)
The majority of survey participants were interested in changes in the following areas:
- Senior projects include expanding opportunities to complete the requirement
- College Entrance Exams
- Senior math
➡️ Next steps: Individuals who volunteered through the survey will be contacted and a committee to work on revisions to Kuna's graduation requirement will meet next fall.
👀 Panel starts process to fill KMS position
A committee of parents, teachers, and administrators are beginning the process to find the next principal for Kuna Middle School.
We've asked current administrator Paul Souza to lead work to expand alternatives for our students headed for expulsion and also to develop an alternative program for our middle school students.
🦺 Safety improvements planned near KMS
This summer, Ada County Highway District will close a portion of Ten Mile Road to complete some projects, including a few safety improvements that many have wanted near Kuna Middle School. Here's some of what is planned:
- Install a Pedestrian Hybrid Beacon (PHB) at the intersection of Ten Mile Road and Boise Street at the northern crosswalk.
- A Rectangular Rapid Flashing Beacon (RRFB) is also being installed across Boise Street, halfway between Ten Mile Road and Strike Way.
- Place additional street lighting on the southeast corner of the Ten Mile Road and Sego Prairie Street intersection.
- School zone beacons will be installed on Ten Mile Road and Boise Street near Kuna Middle School.
Learn more about the project here.
📌 Open Enrollment for 2022-23 update
The window to apply for open enrollment (request that a student attend a different school than their assigned school) closed April 30. Those requests were reviewed this week and notifications will be sent to applicants from schools starting today.
🎟️ Admission won't rise for sporting events
Southern Idaho Conference (SIC) leaders agreed this week to keep admission prices the same for athletic events hosted members’ schools for the 2022-23 School Year.
As a member of the SIC conference, we supported this decision to hold prices steady despite increased costs for officials, fuel and materials. We know that many of your family budgets are squeezed by inflation and rising gas prices. We want our families to continue to attend these events and cheer on our students.
This decision only applies to SIC events. State competitions and other conferences may increase or charge fees different than the SIC.
⚾ 🥎 🎾 👟 ⛳ Sports gear up for districts
Spring high school sports are advancing to district tournament play with an eye toward state tournaments. Kuna High will host district junior varsity softball this Saturday and district track and field May 12-13.
High School District Tournaments/Events
- JV Baseball District Tournament May 5-7
- Varsity Baseball District Tournament May 5, 7, 10-12
- Varsity Softball District Tournament May 7, 9-12
- JV Softball District Tournament May 7
- Boys Golf District Tournament May 9
- Girls Golf District Tournament May 10
- Track & Field District Meet May 12-13
- Tennis District Tournament May 10-13
High State Tournaments/Events
📅 Looking ahead
May 7 - CANCELED Mothers' Day Brunch, KHS Culinary Arts CANCELED
May 10 - Kuna Board of Trustees meeting
May 12 - Parent Information Night, 6 p.m. Swan Falls
May 13 - No school students - teacher in-service
May 10 & 11 - Kuna Choir's "A Night on Broadway," tickets $6
🗳️ May 17 - Election Day!
May 25 - KHS Graduates Elementary School Walk - morning
🎓 May 25 Initial Point High School Graduation 6 p.m. Kuna Performing Arts Center
🎓 May 26 Kuna High School Graduation 2:30 p.m., Ford Idaho Center, 2 hour early release!
May 30 - No school Memorial Day holiday
👀 June 2 - Last day of school, 2 hour early release!
June 14 - Kuna Board of Trustees meeting & Budget hearing for amended 2021-22 Budget and 2022-23 Budget
July 12 - Kuna Board of Trustees meeting
Aug. 9 - Kuna Board of Trustees meeting
Aug. 9 - School offices reopen to the public
👀 Aug. 25 - Students first day of school for 2022-23