Welcome to the Media Center
Come down to the Media Center and take a look at our Olympic News section. We will be keeping tabs of the medal count as the Games take place.
Winter Olympic Trivia
1. The Olympic motto is "Citius, Altius, Fortius." What does that mean in English?
2. Which Winter Olympic sport was originally named 'Military Patrol', but the name was changed after World War II?
3. Which country has won more gold medals than any other country in the Winter Games?
4. Name the 4 Winter Olympic sports contested indoors.
5. Which 3 continents have never hosted an Olympics?
6. In which Winter Olympics was man-made snow used for the first time?
7. How high are the walls of the halfpipe in snowboarding?
8. Why do they use brooms in curling?
9. Which 2014 Winter Olympic event will feature women athletes for the first time?
10. What is the estimated cost of the 2014 Winter Olympics?
Latest Young Adult Book Award Winners
This Month in History
Feb. 19, 1913 - A prize is inserted into a Crackerjacks box for the first time.
Feb. 23, 1945 - US Marines raise the American flag in Iwo Jima.
Feb. 28, 1983 - The final episode of M.A.S.H. is aired.
Feb. 29, 1872 - Yellowstone becomes the first National Park.
Answers to Winter Olympic trivia:
4. Curling, Figure Skating, Hockey, Speed Skating
5. Africa, Antarctica, South America (Brazil will host the 2016 summer Olympics)
6. 1980 Winter Games in Lake Placid
7. 22 feet high
8. It temporarily melts the ice to speed up or slow down the stone.
9. Ski Jumping
10. Approximately $50 billion. It is the largest amount ever spent to date at an Olympic venue.