The School Newsletter for Central Elementary Families
April 24, 2015 Walkathon Edition
Walkathon was a huge success!
Friday's Walkathon was a huge success! Thanks to your help, we were able to raise approximately $10,008.00, just meeting this year's goal. Thank you to everyone who donated.
A special thank you goes out to both the Central and Van Buren PTO's for all of the work involved in putting this exciting event together for our children. I had several students ask me if we could have a Walkathon every day, truly a sign that our children had a great time! I would also like to thank all of our volunteers for coming out and walking with our students. Also, thank you to the Plainfield Police Department and the Plainfield Fire Department for providing security and traffic control during our walk through the neighborhood. Thanks to their help, we had a fun and safe walk.
Below are pictures from our Walkathon and our celebration in the gym after the Walkathon for you to enjoy. Thank you to Mrs. Shonda Meranda, our technology assistant, for taking these pictures.
Thank you again to everyone for all of your help that made Friday such a wonderful day!
Central Elementary Teacher of the Year
Congratulations to Mrs. Anne Johnson, a fifth grade teacher and an incredible educator, for being chosen as Central's Teacher of the Year! Mrs. Johnson has been both a special needs and a fourth grade teacher in Plainfield for many years. This year, she moved to fifth grade and has been a wonderful asset to both our students and our staff. Congratulations Mrs. Johnson and best wishes as you move forward in this competition!
Activities for Children and Families
- To read the new 2015 Summer Explorer Magazine from Hendricks County Parks and Recreation click HERE.
- The Optimist Club is sponsoring a cheerleading class for students in grades K-6. For more information about this opportunity click HERE.
- Indiana University is offering a summer reading skills and speed reading program for children ages 4 to adult. For more information click HERE.
- The YMCA is offering a 2015 Summer Day Camp for children. For registration and general information click HERE.
Central Elementary Calendar
Here are some special days or events that you will want to know about.
- The Good News Club will be meeting on April 27th from 3:40-5:15 pm.
- The 4th Grade ISTEP+ Part II Online Assessment begins on April 27, 2015.
- Our 5th graders will be at Flat Rock YMCA Camp for an overnight trip on April 30th and May 1st.
- Teacher Appreciation Week is May 4 through May 8, 2015.
- The 5th Grade ISTEP+ Part II Online Assessment begins on May 4, 2015.
- The 3rd Grade ISTEP+ Part II Online Assessment begins on May 8, 2015.
- The Little Quakers Academy will begin accepting applications for 2015-2016 enrollment in its community preschool program beginning February 1, 2015. Look for registration information to be posted on the Little Quakers Academy website.
To view more upcoming activities and events happening at Central Elementary, check out our school calendar by clicking HERE or by going to http://www.plainfield.k12.in.us/cn.