News from the Holy Rosary/Juan Diego Community
Message from the Principal: Mar. 8th
Hello, Everyone. I wanted to share our current enrollment news with you. We currently have 189 students signed up for next year. Taking into account the outgoing 8th grade class and any new families who have signed up, that means that 91% of our current students are re-enrolled for next year. That is great news! We still have some contracts out, so I hope that number will continue to grow! Thank you for your commitment to our school. Being at this number with 6 months left to go before the school year even begins is INCREDIBLE!
Now that I have a better sense of our numbers for next year (enrollment and tuition revenue), I can firm up our budget for the 2016-17 school year. In the past 2 weeks, I have had 81 contract meetings! We are currently reviewing all resources, schedules, programs, personnel, curriculum, and many other items so that we can make the best decisions going into the 2017-18 school year. I hope to be able to let everyone know about staffing for next year by the end of April. I do know that we are planning on two kindergarten classes and 2 Pre-K 4 classes (like this year) for next year. Also, as 5th grade breaks off from 6th grade, we will likely combine 6 and 7, making 8 a "stand-alone". That all depends on the enrollment numbers.
As I work through the budget, please know that I am considering the following:
- A firm commitment to the growth of the JDA (Pre-K through 5 next year).
- Offering a high-quality academic program from Pre-K through grade 8.
- Giving students enrichment opportunities.
- Utilizing personnel resources to support a high-quality curriculum, strong Catholic identity, a safe environment, and support for fundraising.
- Tuition revenue will be approximately 40% of the overall budget, so approximately 60% must come from fundraising, grants, and private donors.
- Our mission must continue to be "making Catholic education accessible to all students, regardless of financial ability".
Please know that, first and foremost, every decision that I make in the budget (as well as throughout the school year) is with the best interests of the kids and the school in mind. Sometimes, that requires difficult decisions, but I will continue to do the best I can to provide a wonderful environment for the children to thrive and I appreciate your support.
Have a wonderful week! Also, scroll down this message to check out the exciting construction update!
- Sports and Spring Photos ("Sunday Best" for Spring Photos, Sports Jerseys for Sports Photos)
- Read-a-Thon money is DUE!
- Report Cards go home
- Immigration Prayer Group 8:30 am at the church
- All School Mass in Spanish (2nd Grade) at 9 am
- No School - Teacher Professional Development!
Read-a-Thon Pledges DUE!
If you haven't turned in your money for the Read-a-Thon, please do so by the end of this week! Thanks to all who have done this already.
Parent Survey!! We Need You!!
Parent-Teacher Conferences!! Sign Up Now!!
Please sign up for parent-teacher conferences on Thursday, March 16th or Friday, March 17th. Thanks to all who have already signed up for a conference!
Here are the links to sign up:
Pre-K 3 (Ms. Mareseille): http://signup.com/go/JrTHTE
Pre-K 4A (Ms. Raquel): http://signup.com/go/cKWpmw
Pre-K 4B (Ms. Sonia): http://signup.com/go/zcKC9T
Kindergarten (Ms. Nuria): http://signup.com/go/asZU6M
1st/2nd (Mrs. Williams): http://signup.com/go/fMRvJT
3rd/4th (Mrs. Nolting and Mrs. Silva): http://signup.com/go/pyxsyw
5th/6th (Mr. Downing): http://signup.com/go/8EumC4
7th/8th (Mr. Farias): http://signup.com/go/RP5WvY
Math (Mr. Ivan): http://signup.com/go/UfSLeW
Report cards will go home on Wednesday, March 8th.
- Creation of an elevator/shaft serving floors 1 - 3 of the building, making the auditorium more accessible for all.
- Elevator control room on the mezzanine (4th floor)
- New boys and girls bathrooms on the 3rd floor, near the auditorium. Students will be able to use these during their lunch, PE, etc. These will also make it easier for people during the Hispanic Heritage celebration, Christmas program, etc.
- Additional space on the 2nd floor and a new staff bathroom
Here is our schedule for the next few months:
- Get items cleared out of mezzanine, storage areas, etc.
- Move Mr. Ivan and Mr. Farias to the modular
- Move Mrs. Farias and Ms. Dempsey to the front office
- Move Ms. Kelly and Ms. Sarah to the Parish Office
- Rewire portions of the building to prepare for elevator installation
- Giant dumpster will be delivered for demo
March 25 and April 1
- Parent Work Party to fully prep building
- Prepare to start construction (demo of unused stairwell next to copy room)
April 17 - 21 (Easter Vacation)
- Major demo in former front office area including saw-cutting of floor and digging elevator pit. This will make the building completely off limits during Easter break.
April 24 - Sept. 1
- Hilger Construction will work on the building to remove the current unused stairwell, install an elevator/shaft, put in an elevator control room on the mezzanine, install boys and girls bathrooms on the 3rd floor, create an additional room on the 2nd floor, and put in a new staff bathroom on the 2nd floor.
There will be a certain amount of noise present from April through June, but we will work with Hilger to make sure that it is "manageable" during the school day. The two classrooms closest to the elevator shaft will be moved out to the modular building. They will also be installing temporary walls in the areas surrounding the elevator shaft on floors 1, 2, and 3. This will allow them to work in the areas, while keeping all students, staff, and families safe from the construction site.
Unfortunately, the scope of the project is such that it cannot be done during only the summer months. Creating an elevator shaft is a big project and will likely take the entire 4 months. Also, with a building as old as ours, new and interesting things always come up! :)
Thank you for your patience with the noise, the dumpster location, and any other construction-related issues. This is an important project and our donors have worked hard to raise the entire $1.3 million to fund all 3 phases of this. Having bathrooms for students to use on the 3rd floor, as well as an elevator for people who are elderly/disabled (and parents with strollers and baby seats!) will be amazing and is a critical part of the continued growth of Holy Rosary Regional School/Juan Diego Academy.
No School - Teacher Professional Development Day (Archdiocesan)
Friday, March 10th, 8am-3pm
504 South 30th Street
Thursday, March 16th, 12pm to Friday, March 17th, 12pm
504 South 30th Street
Thursday, March 16th, 12pm to Friday, March 17th, 5:30pm
504 South 30th Street
The Book Fair will be in the portable at the same time as conferences!
Saturday, April 8th, 10:15am
We will be participating in the parade on the 8th NOT the 15th.http://thedaffodilfestival.org/events/daffodil-parade/