5th Grade News Bennett Elementary
Week of February 22-26
Reading, Writing, and Social Studies
In Reading, students will make connections across text, explain the different forms of 3rd person point of view, and explain author's purpose. We will make sure to spiral previously taught concepts, including poetry, drama, and non-fiction. Students will continue their mystery book club books. Reading homework is due Friday, February 26th.
There will be NO spelling words this week!
In Social Studies, students will continue our Westward Expansion ELM. Students should be able to define what Manifest Destiny is and the reasons people traveled westward. Students will be working on their final products of this unit.
Six Flags Reading - DUE SOON!
Math and Science
This week we will continue to convert metric lengths, capacity, and weight through word problems. There will be homework that is due Monday, February 29th-see attached homework below. This Friday is our Quarter 3 Math District Assessment! The kids have worked hard and are prepared!
This week the students will begin creating their Super Hero Weathering, Erosion, and Deposition Characters. This is a great way for the students to review all the concepts taught in this unit. Our Science District Assessment will be on Monday, February 29th. We will send another review packet home this week. Attached below is the same study guide that was sent home at the beginning of the unit.
Math and Science Homework
- Monday, February 22 - STUCO meeting 7:15 AM
- Tuesday, February 23rd- 6th Grade Middle School Night @ 6pm at your child's middle school; KidzScience 3-4; PTO March Newsletter goes home
- Thursday, February 25 - ALPHA Playground Expo at Webb from 5:30-7
- Friday, February 26th - LOCK-IN for drawn ticket winners from 6:00-9:30p at Bennett!; Friday Live @ 2:15; Color Run Kick-Off; MISD Wear Red Day
- Monday, February 29th - Course requests for middle school due; Color Run Day 1; PACK Week - purple/ blue foods
- Tuesday, March 1st- Color Run Day 2; PACK Week - White/Tan/Brown Foods; 6:30 Open House
- Wednesday, March 2nd - MISD Senior Tours; Color Run Day 3; PACK Week - Red Foods
- Thursday, March 3rd - Color Run Day 4; PACK Week - Yellow/ Orange Foods
- Friday, March 4th - First Annual Bennett Color Run 2:00-2:45; PACK Week - Green Foods; End of 3rd 9 weeks
- Saturday, March 5th - Mrs. Higgins' Birthday!!
- The week of March 7-11th - Spring Break
- Tuesday, March 29th - Math STAAR test
- Wednesday, March 30th - Reading STAAR test
- Saturday, April 23rd -Spring Carnival from 3:00-7:00p
- Saturday, June 4 - Rough Rider McKinney ISD Night
Open House Invitation
In the Event of Bad Weather - A Message From Cody Cunningham
As winter sets in, so does the opportunity for inclement weather. We encourage parents to become familiar with the District's communication process in the event of bad weather. In most cases, a decision to close or delay school due to bad weather is made prior to 6:00 am. The information will first be posted on the McKinney ISD website at www.mckinneyisd.net and the McKinney ISD Facebook Page and Twitter account. The notification will also air on MET (Time Warner Channel 98).
All major television and radio stations will be notified. However, please recognize that there is often a 30-45 minute delay between the time we provide them with the information and the time it is posted.
The McKinney ISD website is the most effective way for you to determine the status of school closings. Please note if the school is not closed or delayed, no information will posted.
Chief Communications Officer McKinney Independent School District 469.302.4133
Incoming 6th Grade Meeting Information
5th Grade Party Information
McKinney ISD Rough Rider Night - June 4th
Bennett 5th Grade
Shannon Dusek - email@example.com
Beth Higgins - firstname.lastname@example.org
Natalie White - email@example.com