School Community Newsletter - May 31, 2021
Hello, Thomas Middle School Community,
Happy Memorial Day! We hope this email finds you and your family well as we honor those members of our military who sacrificed their lives in order to defend our freedoms. We are grateful to these heroes and their loved ones.
This newsletter contains s few new items as well as some repeat items that are important to note. Please take a moment to read through all of these items. As we wrap up the school year that has been like no other, we take a moment to thank our PTA executive board members who have served our community this year and supported us in so many ways. Lucy Block our former president, and Lisa Ulrych our former secretary, we are so thankful for your service! Amy Hoffman, Suzanne Krause, Melissa Teuscher thank you for continuing your service for the 2021-2022 school year. We also welcome two new executive board members for the 2021-2022 school year ~ Kelly Spokas and Deborah Oiler!
Our Pride of the Pack online auction has many amazing prizes that will not only be enjoyable to win but will help benefit our Pride of the Pack Program. Please take a few minutes to view our Pride of the Pack Assembly link to see the many amazing accomplishments of our current and former TMS students who earned scholarships this year and those that were scholarship finalists. Many thanks to Mr. Keadle and Mr. Kuch along with the TMS TechTeam for the countless hours organizing our Pride of the Pack events.
- No School - Memorial Day Holiday - Monday, 5/31/21
- Online PTA Yearbook Online Sales End - Thursday, 6/10/21
- Last Day of TMS Activity Bus - Thursday, 6/10/21
- Last Day of School 6th & 7th Grade & Yearbook Distribution- Friday, 6/11/21
Important Dates For 8th Grade:
- 8th Grade Graduation Rehearsal - Wednesday, 6/2/21 @ 7:45 a.m.@ TMS
- 8th Grade Student Picnic - Wednesday, 6/2/21 @ 12:40 p.m. @ TMS
- 8th Grade Last Day of School & Yearbook Distribution - Wednesday, 6/2/21
- 8th Grade Graduation - Wednesday, 6/2/21 @ 7:30 p.m. BGHS (Rain Date 6/3/21)
2021-2022 SAVE THE DATE INFORMATION:
- Incoming 6th Grade Orientation - Friday, 8/13/21 (AM)
- 7th & 8th Grade Locker Set-Up - Friday, 8/13/21 (PM)
- First Day of School - Thursday, 8/19/21
- Back to School Night Schedule Walk - Thursday, 8/19/21 (5-8 PM)
Thank you for embracing this journey with us!
Take care and be well,
~ Lori, Greg, & Nick
Want to order a Yearbook?
Click here for the PTA online Yearbook Sale Site (while supply lasts & until June 10th) *Yearbooks will not be sold in person or beyond June 10th. Yearbooks cost $25
Yearbook Distribution - Yearbooks will be given out on the last day of school!
8th Graders - June 2nd
6th & 7th Graders - June 11th
Remote Students can pick up yearbooks from the office starting June 11th from 7 AM- 3:30 PM
Remote Only Students ~ Information on PE Uniform Shirts
- Current remote only 8th graders will get a refund for PE uniform shirts purchased during the 2020-2021 registration.
- Current remote only 6th & 7th graders who purchased PE uniforms during the 2020-2021 registration will receive the PE uniforms at the start of the 2021-2022 school year in August of 2021.
- Current in-person 6th & 7th graders were given their PE uniforms ordered during the 2020-2021 registration.
Clarification on Mask Mandate ~ Masks are still required for D25 schools & at D25 events!
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) COVID-19 guidelines for vaccinated individuals and how it applies to District 25.
- CDC says that "fully vaccinated people can resume activities without wearing a mask or physically distancing except where required by federal, state, local, tribal, or territorial laws, rules and regulations, including local business and workplace guidance."
- According to our conversation with the Cook County Department of Public Health (CCDPH), guidance for school settings remains unchanged at this time. The Illinois Department of Public Health (IDPH) stated yesterday that “schools should continue to follow the CDC’s [specific] school guidance until more people and children are vaccinated”.
- Therefore, District 25 will continue to require all individuals to wear masks in our school buildings and on our school grounds. This will continue in our schools and at all school-related events until there are published guidelines from our health department and the Illinois State Board of Education that reflect any changes. Click here for guidance on our graduation ceremony.
- The only exception to this is the TMS Graduation Outdoor Ceremony scheduled for 6/2/21 at BGHS. Click here for access to the letter that details masks expectations at this event.
PLEASE HELP...WE ARE STILL MISSING MANY LIBRARY BOOKS!
- Personalized student messages and phone calls have gone out urging students to return our LMC books. These books literally represent hundreds of dollars of our LMC budget.
- Please ask your child if they have an overdue book.
- Please LOOK around your house and have your child return their overdue books or have your child come to the LMC to pay the replacement cost.
Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!
Arlington Heights Library hosts "Virtual Reverse Assemblies"
I'll be in our AHML Zoom room during these two timeframes, and you are welcome to join during whichever time will work best for you. I'll do about a 20-minute presentation in which I'll play our promotional video, describe the program, and read a fun book (I'll make it appealing to all age ranges!).
Please come join me for one of these two options!
Thursday, June 10 at 1:00 PM:
Join Zoom Meeting
Meeting ID: 872 5181 1885Passcode: 541904
Friday, June 11 at 10:00 AM:
Join Zoom Meeting
Meeting ID: 895 4167 5967Passcode: 485396
If you cannot join us for either time frame, please do still play our video sometime. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to reach out.
Online Registration for 2021-2022 School Year ~ LOOK FOR YOUR REGISTRATION EMAIL on 5/3/21
2021-2022 AHSD Online Registration System will be launched on Monday, May 3rd (during the morning hours). Registration emails for 2021-2022 will be sent on Monday, May 3rd. Families will be emailed details and a link to register online. We ask that you complete the registration process as soon as possible so we can effectively and accurately plan and schedule classes for all of our students. The TMS 2021-2022 anticipated student enrollment numbers are looking to be around the following:
- 6th Grade: 320 students
- 7th Grade: 320 students
- 8th Grade: 345 students
CLICK THIS LINK FOR INFORMATION ON THE 5TH TO 6TH GRADE TRANSITION PROCESS
Do you have questions for the PTA? Email the PTA at: email@example.com
Congratulations to the 2021-2022 PTA Officers:
President: Amy Hoffman
President-Elect: Suzanne Krause
Vice President: Melissa Teuscher
Treasurer: Kelly Spokas
Secretary: Deborah Oiler
Thank you 2020-2021 PTA Officers ~ Lucy Block & Lisa Ulrych
Mental Health Resources
- National Suicide Prevention Lifeline (call 1-800-273-8255 for free and confidential support for people in distress and best practices for professionals)
- Crisis Text Line (text HOME to 741741 to connect with a crisis counselor)
- Call4Calm (text TALK or HABLAR to 552020 to get connected to a counselor in your area)
- Safe2Help Illinois (a 24/7 tip line that gives students a safe and confidential way to share information that might help prevent suicides, bullying, school violence, or other threats to school safety).
FOOD DISTRIBUTION & FREE LUNCH
FREE LUNCH FOR STUDENTS - Students can order a free lunch Tuesday-Friday at TMS. Orders are placed during homeroom.
- Day: Every Wednesday
- Times: 9:30 am – 10:30 am & 4:30 pm - 6:30 pm
- Where: Thomas Middle School ONLY
- Who: All Arlington Heights families with students age 18 and under
- Important Notes: Neighbors or friends are allowed to come to pick up meal bags for you from Thomas Middle School. If food delivery is needed, please contact us and we can arrange for a delivery time.