Content Literacy with Cris Tovani
December 10, 2018
CESA 10 is excited to welcome Cris Tovani. She has taught first through twelfth grade for thirty one years. Her entire career has been spent trying to figure out the “knowing-doing” gap. Cris has tried to take reading and writing research and apply it to all levels of learners. She loves sharing her success and failures with colleagues from around the world so they can better serve students. She is the author of several books including, I Read It, but I Don't Get It, No More Telling as Teaching: Less Lecture, More Engaged Learning (Not This but That) and So What Do They Really Know?
Engaging students while differentiating instruction to meet all classroom needs is a daunting task, especially at the middle and high school level where a specific number of minutes is assigned to courses. Please join us for a day of collaborative learning where Cris will share practical methods and strategies from her vast experiences in order to:
• Engage students in powerful interactive lessons that spark critical thinking
• Authentically assess student thinking and performance for critical just in time feedback
• Structure instructional minutes in a way that balances the effective teaching of content through lecture with real opportunities to learn, retain and transfer disciplinary skills and practices
Learning outcomes include:
- Participants will learn strategies to engage students in powerful interactive lessons that spark critical thinking.
- Participants will learn strategies to authentically assess student thinking and performance for critical just in time feedback.
- Participants will learn about how to structure instructional minutes that balances effective lectures with authentic learning opportunities.
This session is offered at a cost of $50 per participant to those CESA 10 districts participating in Title II including Abbotsford, Bloomer, Bruce, Cadott, Colby, Cornell, Eleva-Strum, Gilman, Gilmanton, Greenwood, Ladysmith, Lake Holcombe, Loyal, Neillsville, New Auburn, Osseo-Fairchild, Owen-Withee, Spencer, and Thorp. The discount will be automatically applied.
The cost for all other CESA 10 districts is $350 per participant. The cost for those outside of CESA 10 is $500 per participant.