Depression in Adolescence
Advice for Parents!
What every parent should know
Factors That Increase Depression
- Family history- Having a family member with depression increases the risk
- Early Childhood Experience- Such as losing a parent at an early age
- Stress- Negative life events, such as divorce
- Alcohol Abuse
You just learned what can cause depression and the symptoms. Now here are some ways to help your child cope with depression.
- Be understanding- During this time you must remember that your child is not being difficult on purpose. They need someone they can count on to listen and not judge, so do your best to be patient and understanding.
- Encourage physical activity- Exercise can be a key factor in relieving the symptoms of depression. Something as simple as walking the dog can go a long way.
- Encourage social activity- If they are alone all the time it only makes depression worse, so they need to be encouraged to go see friends and socialize.
Sleep problems and depression in adolescence
Sivertsen, Børge. "Sleep Problems and Depression in Adolescence." N.p., 30 Nov. 2013. Web. <http%3A%2F%2F0-web.a.ebscohost.com.library.acaweb.org%2Fehost%2Fdetail%2Fdetail%3Fvid%3D5%26sid%3Dbfa05888-2901-4f24-99ef-aa1f650db0b3%2540sessionmgr4002%26hid%3D4107%26bdata%3DJnNpdGU9ZWhvc3QtbGl2ZQ%253d%253d%23db%3Dpsyh%26AN%3D2013-42483-001>.