Genetically modified food
What are the benefits of Genetically modified food
What is it
The term GM foods or GMOs (genetically-modified organisms) is most commonly used to refer to crop plants created for human or animal consumption using the latest molecular biology techniques. These plants have been modified in the laboratory to enhance desired traits such as increased resistance to herbicides or improved nutritional content
What are some foods that have this
These foods have it
Here are some websites that talk about generically modified food
What if I was allergic to fish but I ate a tomato that had a fish gene in it
benefits of genetically modified food
- More nutritious food
- Tastier food
- Disease- and drought-resistant plants that require fewer environmental resources (water, fertilizer, etc.)
- Decreased use of pesticides
- Increased supply of food with reduced cost and longer shelf life
- Faster growing plants and animals
- Food with more desirable traits, such as potatoes that absorb less fat when fried
- Medicinal foods that could be used as vaccines or other medications
Risks of genetically modified food
- Modified plants or animals may have genetic changes that are unexpected and harmful.
- Modified organisms may interbreed with natural organisms and out-compete them, leading to extinction of the original organism or to other unpredictable environmental effects.
- Plants may be less resistant to some pests and more susceptible to others.
Should genetically modified food be labeled ?
Yes it should if a little kid was allergic to fish but ate a tomato he or she could get really sick