Ms. Crisp's Weekly Newsletter
January 11th - 15th, 2016
What's Happening This Week?
Welcome back! If you and your student are anything like me, then it took about a week to get back into the swing of things. Luckily, everyone's getting back into their routine now.
One important request - please help your child stay warm! We go outside every day for recess unless there is precipitation. Depending on just how cold it is outside, we might decide to go for indoor recess, but your students NEED that outside time to run around and release some energy. It's been cold lately, and there have been a lot of kids showing up without their winter jackets on! Please, please make sure you're doing a coat check at the door, because we will most likely be outside and it's very chilly right now!
What Are We Learning This Week?
- Daily 5: Finishing up our persuasive letters to the mayor; working on adverbs vs. adjectives; and, as always, building up stamina to be better readers and writers.
- Reading Groups: Finishing up vocabulary and using context clues.
- Science: Starting our economics unit!
- Math: Continuing using skip counting and arrays to learn multiplication. Reviewing area. Working on our multiplication facts and fluency. Be practicing with those multiplication cards!
A Quick Lesson in Tape Diagrams...
A tape diagram is just a fancy array, sectioned off into rectangles. Below is a video using a tape diagram to solve one such problem. We will be watching the same video in class, so I thought I would share with parents. The language is very simple, but it does the best job explaining what they are and how you would use them.
We also are beginning to run low on:
- Dry erase markers
- Small pencil erasers
Cheez-its or Cheese Nips
Animal crackers (not frosted)
Fruits and veggies (dried or otherwise)
Individually packaged snacks, like granola bars or portion bags of popcorn
- Any kind of healthy snack that I can give out to the whole class!
Thank you for your generosity!