The Grizzly Growl
Dear Grassfield High School Families,
Happy days are ahead as we March towards spring 2023. Seniors are continuing to celebrate senior events as we had a very successful Senior Banquet last month at the Virginia Beach Aquarium. We remain committed to continuing our tradition of academic excellence and school success so please review the academic support and study hall information that is enclosed.
We thank all of our school community members who are working hard to continue to build a Community of Excellence filled with Grizzly Pride. We had an event filled Black History Month and were very excited to reunite virtually with many Grizzly graduates who have gone on to HBCU’s and into amazing careers. As our senior class continues to work hard during their final semester of high school, they are embracing the Grizzly Way with the end goal of graduating in June ready for EMPLOYMENT, ENLISTMENT or ENROLLMENT.
Please review the information enclosed for important information regarding testing, study hall, student events, spring sports, and the school calendar. Please refer to our website and our social media sites on Twitter and Instagram for the latest and most up to date information and events. Thank you for your support, and as always, Go Grizzlies!
Proud To Be a Grizzly,
One Lunch is Back On Starting March 15th! Stay Tuned For More Details!
Anything But a Backpack Day Pop Up Spirit Day
If you don't know what "Anything But a Backpack Day" is, you will learn on March 10th. Upperclassmen, show the freshman how the Grizzlies go all out on this special spirit day.
SCA will be selling Chick Fil A biscuits and a drink for $5 in the concession stand before school starts.
PTSA and Fundraising Highlights
Class of 2023 Senior Yard Signs
Do you want to purchase a yard sign to celebrate your graduation?
There are two ways:
- You can purchase online following this website: https://osp.osmsinc.com/p/DD059-137 Then, please fill out the attached order form and email it back to Laura Agudelo, firstname.lastname@example.org
- You can purchase with check or cash by printing out the attached form and mailing it into the school or dropping it off at the school to Leslie Wecht in the Main Office.
The sign is $25.00 and is personalized with three choices of design. Please see the order form for those choices.
DEADLINE IS THURSDAY, MARCH 31, 2023
Grassfield Service Week
During this week clubs have signed up to sponsor an organization. Each day there will be different items asked to be donated for the organization.
- Monday- Teachers for tomorrow, sponsoring the Chesapeake Education Foundation and asking for school supplies
- Tuesday- Fellowship of Christian Athletes (FCA), sponsoring the Union Mission and asking for new towels and washcloths, slippers and soap, underwear, toiletries
- Wednesday- Key Club, sponsoring the Chesapeake Humane Society and asking for pet supplies
- Thursday- Dalia Tri-Hi-Y, sponsoring the H.E.R. shelter and asking for feminine products and toiletries
- Friday- International Thespian Society (ITS) organization TBD
National Honors Society
Applications for the National Honor Society will be sent out during the first week of March. Current 10th and 11th graders will receive an application if they have a 3.5 GPA or higher. All applications need to be submitted by 4 p.m. on March 15, 2023 to B114; no late applications will be accepted.
March is Women's History Month
This year the Women's History Month Theme is "Our History is Our Strength". Did you know that we offer a Women's Studies class at Grassfield? If you are interested in learning more about the class, see Mrs. Ramos-Acosta in room C118. It's not too late to sign up for next year.
Calling All Military-Connected Families
April is the Month of the Military Child, and if you are a military-connected family and have not yet met our Military and Family Life Counselor (MFLC), Mrs. Ady Shea, this is a great time of year to do so. Be on the look out for some upcoming events and ways to celebrate your student and find out more about the resources available for military-connected families. Reach out to Mrs. Shea via email at email@example.com. We'd love to see you at one of the upcoming Parent Workshops (flyer above).
Parents and Students,
If you have a need or desire to move to the Chesapeake Virtual Academy for the spring semester, the CVA application is now accessible on the CVA website. Please reach out to your counselor if you have questions or need to discuss the CVA application process.
News from Access
Here's the latest opportunities from Mr. Kelly
Access College Foundation has some exciting news to share with you:
- The CCD Permission Form is now LIVE! We will be celebrating College Commitment Day on Tuesday, April 25th from 11:00 AM – 12:00 PM at Chartway Arena on the campus of Old Dominion University!
- Seniors can begin signing up for Commitment Day NOW. Just a reminder, students must be a senior, accepted to at least one college, and have filed their FAFSA. Please reach Mr. Kelly HERE if you have any questions.
- Recap video from 2022 College Commitment Day: College Commitment Day 2022
March Scholarship Information
Please see the scholarship information below and please post for student reference.
- 2023 Grassfield Ruritan Scholarship
Please find attached a PDF and a Word file of the current 2023 Grassfield Ruritan Scholarship Application form. Please post this for access by all of your students. As you will probably notice this one is limited to Grassfield High Students and/or family members of Grassfield Ruritan Club.
Deadline: April 30
- Tidewater Community College’s (TCC’s) 2023/2024 Outstanding High School Graduate Award Scholarship
The link to the Outstanding High School Graduate Award application is: https://help.tcc.edu/s/article/Outstanding-High-School-Graduate-Scholarship. Please have your students complete the Chesapeake application electronically and upload their completed application packet with their recommendation letters, transcripts, and all other documents requested to that same link.
- Tidewater Hokies Scholarship
Last year, Virginia Tech set a record by receiving over 45,000 applications for first-year enrollment, so our chapter recognizes what an impressive accomplishment it is to be offered admission to Virginia Tech! For that reason, our scholarship eligibility criteria are quite simple: (1) live in/attend a public or private high school in our identified geography and (2) have accepted an offer of admission to attend Virginia Tech as a non-transfer/first year student in the 2023-2024 academic year.
To facilitate and streamline the application process, our scholarship application is aligned with Virginia Tech’s Scholarship Central platform, which is accessible by all students that have been offered admission to the university. There is a direct link from our website at www.tidewaterhokies.com/scholarships. Alternatively, it can be accessed by logging onto the Scholarship Central platform (vt.academicworks.com) and searching for “Tidewater Alumni Chapter Scholarship.”
Applications are due no later than April 28, 2023. Additional information regarding interviews for selected finalists, selection and notification timelines, and additional contact information is also available at www.tidewaterhokies.com/scholarships.
- Senior Chief Scott DeCoste Memorial Scholarship
Senior Chief Scott DeCoste was born in Framingham, Mass and raised in Woonsocket, Rhode Island . After his 1984 graduation from Woonsocket High School, he proudly served his country from 1984 until his retirement in January, 2007. He then started a new career as a Sales Manager with the Southern Auto Group in Chesapeake, Virginia that continued until his death in 2015.
Scholarship Criteria: Overcoming an academic or personal obstacle prior to graduation. Hampton Roads Scholarship
- Adeline Ward Chapter #197 Scholarship
It is highly recommended that candidates submit a “Grassfield High School Brag Sheet” along with their application. Brag sheets offer more insight about the candidate and can be obtained through the senior page link on Grassfield’s website.
*Meet the following criteria:
Recipients must have at least a 3.0 GPA.
Recipients must have exhibited qualities of leadership, citizenship and service.
Recipients must have participated in some form with Grassfield Athletics.
Recipient should have plans to pursue a career in medicine, physical therapy, sports management and/or athletic training
- Portsmouth Invitational Tournament
The Portsmouth Invitational Tournament is pleased to announce the annual PIT Student-Athlete Scholarship Program. Scholarships of $4,000 will be awarded to a student-athlete from each of the Southside Hampton Roads cities, including: Chesapeake, Norfolk, Portsmouth, Suffolk and Virginia Beach. Each school may nominate one (1) student only. (Please include a photo of the nominee).
The scholarships will be awarded to special and unique individuals who:
· Are definitely going to pursue higher education and have a need for financial aid;
· Have made significant contributions to athletics;
· Will not receive any financial assistance in the form of a full athletic scholarship or appointment to one of the military academies;
Have the respect of coaches, peers, teachers and community.--
- GFHS point of contact: Mrs. Sharpe firstname.lastname@example.org
Please continue to check Scholarshipvue for current scholarship opportunities!
ALL THINGS ATHLETICS
Winter Sports Teams Finish a Strong Posteason
Congratulations to all of our Winter Sports athletes and teams. We will be celebrating all of your accomplishments at the Winter Sports Recognition Ceremony on March 7th at 7pm. Check with coaches for more information.
Next Up: Spring Sports teams start competition in just a few weeks. Check out the calendar of events.