RECORDERS ~ vol. 1
3rd Grade Recorder Class News
They are here... RECORDERS!
2 RULES to create a GREAT SOUND
- We will use only WARM, SLOW AIR to make our nice sound. (Example: place hand in front of mouth and blow slowly so you feel WARM air. If you blow fast air, you will feel cold air.) WARM air = very pleasing sound. COLD air = loud, screechy, unpleasing sound.
- When directed to COVER A HOLE on the recorder, that hole must be COMPLETELY AND TIGHTLY COVERED. No air may escape in or out of that hole. (Example: a "tupperware" lid.)
Below is a short video of what can be accomplished on a recorder. It will take us a while to get to this level! It's interesting to hear a recorder played by a professional.
I will give each student that WHISPERS the "magic secret" word - GUITAR - in my ear next week an extra bonus point!
What can PARENTS do to help?
PLEASE BE PATIENT!
- Protect your ears: Remind your child that WARM AIR is needed to produce that pleasing sound be are aiming for!
- Remind your child to check their hand position: LEFT hand at the top of the recorder, right hand at the bottom.
- Cover the holes tightly: This rule is the one most often forgotten. We are dealing with little finders - some with teeny tiny ones. Please encourage!
- Be a supportive audience every step of the way: The initial sounds will be difficult to listen to. (I know, I had two children of my own to went through this process too!) I promise, THEY WILL IMPROVE QUICKLY!
Below is my information. PLEASE feel free to contact me with any questions or concerns. Email is the best way to reach me.
I want each and every child to be successful as we learn about MUSIC!