THE FLIGHT RECORDER
Statesville Road Elementary's Weekly Staff Newsletter
Principal's Point to Ponder
Deficits Do Not Define
Beethoven is one of the greatest composers of symphonic music the world has ever known. What most people do not know is that Beethoven began developing hearing loss as early as age 26. Despite his condition that continued to deteriorate over time, he was able to compose great works of music. As a matter of fact, his eighth and ninth symphonies were composed when he was almost completely deaf! How did he overcome such a deficit? Often we complain that our students come to us with major deficits. They appear to be deaf (can't do simple addition and subtraction) when we expect them to compose great music (comprehend and solve multi-step fraction word problems). But let Beethoven's life stand as an example that deficits can be overcome when the capacity for greatness is present. Each of our students has the capacity to learn. Each has the capacity to perform. Each has the capacity to excell. It is our job to use the knowledge that they come to us with, give them the tools to overcome the deficits, and tap into their capacity. Every day we must remind ourselves that our students' deficits do not define who they are, what they can learn, or what they can become!
Instructional Strategy of the Week
We often think of classroom websites as tools to communicate with our parents, but our 5th grade teachers have created classroom websites that serve as tools for student learning within the classroom. These sites include recorded lessons that students use for independent instruction and review, as well as links to daily exit tickets, notes, and other tools for students. Use the links below to access what is available to our 5th grade students as 21st Century learning tools!
Kudos / General Reminders / Agreemnents
- Kudos to Ms. Johnson for winning the staff-nominated "Team Player of the Month" award!
- Kudos to Ms. Jones for being passed the "Crystal Apple" award from Ms. DesRoches!
- The Project LIFT Unconference will be held January 23 and 24. This conference is by teachers for teachers! Use the following link to access additional information about the conference http://www.projectliftcharlotte.org/real-edu-home. The informationon how to apply to be a presenter can be found within the link. Please consider putting Statesville Road on the map by sharing your best practices!!
- The deadline for peer observations is December 16th. Please look for an email from Kristin Hall with the peer observation schedule. Please let Kristin Hall know if you have any questions.
- Progress Reports are to go home in this week's Tuesday Folder. NO EXCEPTIONS.
- Discovery Education Assessments: See email sent by Lungarini on December 1 for the details of Discovery Education testing in the computer lab.
Monday, December 8, 2014 (Day 5)
- 7:55am - Monday Meeting (begin to bring your class to the multi-purpose room)
- Discovery Education Assessment: 4th grade READING
- MAP Assessment: 5th Grade
Tuesday, December 9, 2014 (Day 1)
- Discovery Education Assessment: 5th grade READING
- Tuesday Folder: Progress Reports
- Williams at PLAT Meeting (PM)
Wednesday, December 10, 2014 (Day 2)
- Discovery Education Assessment: 5th grade MATH
- TRC Assessment: 4th Grade (See email sent by Patterson for detail)
- Lungarini at PD (all day)
Thursday, December 11, 2014 (Day 3)
- Discovery Education Assessment: 5th grade SCIENCE
- Lungarini at PD (all day)
Friday, December 12, 2014 (Day 4)
- Discovery Education Assessment: Make Up Day
- TRC Assessment: 5th Grade (See email sent by Patterson for details)