CLX Buzz 1/23/20
The Claxton Elementary Family Newsletter
What's the Buzz?
- Coming Soon at Claxton...
- Help Needed with Open House Next Week!
- Lost & Found Items Will Be Donated Friday Afternoon (1/24)
- After School Arts Sign-Up! Claxton Spring Classes
CLX Love Month Coming in February--Sign Up to Share Some Love!
Welcome to Ms. Ashley Griffin and Ms. Becca Davis!
Save the Date for the Jubeelee Celebration and Fundraiser!
Volunteer Opportunity to Help with Girls on the Run
ACS Magnet School Enrollment
Volunteering at Claxton
- CLX on Social Media
- Quick Links
Coming Soon at Claxton...
Thursday Flyers (Check your Claxton folders!)
Early Release Day and Staff Appreciation Lunch (Hosted by 2nd & 3rd Families) - Fri, Jan 24 (12pm Dismissal)
Registration Open for Spring After School Arts (ASA) - Sun, 1/26 @ 8pm - Sun 2/2 @ 8pm
Magnet School Open House - Tues, 1/28 - Thurs, 1/30 (9am-2pm)
PTO Meeting - Tues, Feb 4 (6-7pm) in Media Center
Spring ASA Begins - Week of Feb 10-13
Book Fair - Feb 10-14
3rd-5th Grade School Dance - Thurs, Feb 13 (3-4pm)
NO SCHOOL - Feb 20-21 (Parent/Teacher Conferences)
Classroom Group & Spring Pictures - Tues, Feb 25
Student Career Day - Wed, Mar 11
Jubeelee Celebration and Fundraiser (formerly CLX Auction) - Sat, Mar 14
Volunteer Appreciation Breakfast - Thurs, Apr 23
Help Needed with Open House Jan 28-30
We're looking for volunteers to welcome visitors and assist our awesome student tour guides during our Open House Days next week (January 28-30). Please sign up here if you can share some time: https://tinyurl.com/welcomeCLX
Our parent volunteer and student tour guides have a HUGE impact on open house visitors--answering questions, sharing our school, and letting people know what makes Claxton special! Our students truly LEAD the way!--serving as the main tour guides with a parent volunteer alongside to help as needed and to answer questions. Our Principal Team is available at the end of the tour to answer any remaining questions that families might have.
After School Arts Sign-Up! Claxton Spring Classes
Our After School Arts enrichment classes kick off in mid-February for our spring season! There's plenty to explore with Electronic Music Making, FEAST Food Prep & Cooking, Tae Kwon Do, Tennis, From the Mountains to the Sea: Painting NC, Claxton Leaders Create!, Yoga Games, Sensory Explorers, Meet with a Beat, Cardboard Circuits, Birds in Spring, Creative Smorgasbord, and Board Games!
Online registration begins this Sunday, Jan 26 at 8:00pm at https://claxtonafterschool.jumbula.com and closes at 8:00 pm on Sun, Feb 2. We encourage all students to participate, regardless of ability to pay. If needed, a scholarship can be requested during online registration. Call 828-419-0327 or email claxtonASA@gmail.com with questions or help with registration. A print copy of class descriptions went home with Thursday flyers today.
Click here for class info in English and Spanish:
Welcome to Ms. Ashley Griffin and Welcome Back to Ms. Becca Davis!
LIVE MUSIC, food, drinks, and more at the Jubeelee!
Please plan to join us for the Claxton and Asheville Primary School Jubeelee!! RSVP and follow the event HERE on Facebook. We have Virginia and the Slims (CLX parent Joanna Best’s band) as well as Stacy Claude and Bryan Clendenin (APS parents) lined up to play at the event. Plan to celebrate our schools and enjoy a night with friends, teachers, and staff. You will not want to miss such a fun night!
We still need help gathering auction items. Please help us gather non-cash donations for the auction!
Do you have a service to donate (yoga classes, will services, acupuncture, massages, photo sessions, etc.)?
Do you have a second home to donate for a weekend?
Can you provide lessons as a donation (dance, cooking, sailing, etc.)?
Would your place of work donate gift certificates or tickets?
Can you bake a pie (the Jubeelee is Pi Day this year!)?
Do you have a contact you might be able to ask for a donation?
Volunteer Opportunity to Serve as Assistant Coach for Claxton Girls on the Run
If you'd like to learn more, visit https://www.gotrwnc.org/coach for a short video followed by written info about GOTR coaching. Contact GOTR at 828-713-3132 for info or, if you're ready to sign up, go ahead and click here to take the first steps! If you have Claxton-specific questions, please feel free to reach out to email@example.com.
Magnet School Enrollment for 2020-2021
Chaperoning and Other Volunteering at Claxton
1) Whether you're a new or returning Claxton volunteer, an online background check is needed each year to volunteer in any capacity with students at school or as a supervising chaperone on field trips. It takes about 5 minutes to start your background check but can sometimes take 2-3 weeks for checks to be approved. You cannot volunteer until your background check has been approved, so jump over to this link to get yours started. https://bib.com/SecureVolunteer/Asheville-City-Schools/
2) Also, all volunteers need to attend a brief (~30min) Level II volunteer training with Asheville City Schools before you can volunteer at Claxton. The training is a one-time requirement (not needed each year) and this year's schedule is set so you can go ahead and check the calendar. Please see below for the next training sessions or check this year's full calendar HERE. Trainings take place in the Boardroom at Asheville City Schools' Central Office at 85 Mountain Street unless otherwise noted. No registration is required to attend the training.
Wednesday, February 12, 2020, at 12:00 PM
Wednesday, February 12, 2020, at 6:00 PM
Wednesday, March 11, 2020, at 12:00 PM
Wednesday, April 22, 2020, at 12:00 PM
Wednesday, May 6, 2020, at 12:00 PM
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions or are interested in exploring volunteer opportunities at Claxton!