Upper Dublin in Review...
Legislative Meeting Briefs - November 2019
President's Welcome and Reports to the Board of School Directors
- President's Welcome - Dr. Levinowitz welcomed everyone to the meeting, thanked retiring Board members, and shared information about the Pennsylvania School Boards Association.
- Student Government Association Report - Daniel Caplan shared information about happenings at UDHS. Click here to read Daniel's full report.
- Superintendent's Report - Dr. Yanni presented his monthly Superintendent's Report. Please click here to read Dr. Yanni's full report.
- Pennsylvania School Boards Association Honor Roll - Dr. Art Levinowitz was recognized for 20 years of service, Ms. Vanessa Good was recognized for 12 years of service, and Dr. Joan Ludwig was recognized for 8 years of service.
- Years of Service Recognition - Staff members were recognized for 15, 20, 25, and 30 year career milestones in Upper Dublin. Click here to view the entire list of honorees.
- Maximum Parameters Bond Sale - The next step in financing the new SRMS was presented.
The first community input period was limited to presentation and action items only. The following topics were discussed during the first community input:
- Board retirees
- Student Civic Engagement Policy
- Budget - Act 1 exceptions, reassessments, tax increases over three year period, PSERS, salaries and benefits, bargaining unit contracts, and District financial reports
Education Committee (Curriculum, Technology, and Pupil Services) Recommendations
- Curriculum - The Board approved the following actions: agreement with the MCIU for co-teaching professional development and coaching and the purchase of Lego WeDo Robots to increase students' STEM opportunities at the elementary level. The Board also approved student field trips and professional conferences.
- Pupil Services - The Board approved a confidential educational service agreement.
Operations Committee Recommendations
- Routine Matters - The Board approved a list of excess, obsolete, and non-repairable equipment.
- Approvals - The Board approved a change order credit with Mobilease Modular Space, Inc., and an agreement with Michael Johnson Architect for bidding and construction management services for roof repairs at FWES.
Finance Committee Recommendations
- Routine Matters - The Board approved routines matters such as the review of the Treasurer's Report and the list of bill payments.
- Other Matters - The Board also approved the following action items: a parameters bond resolution authorizing the issuance of a series of general obligation bonds for the purpose of financing a portion of the costs of designing, constructing, and equipping the new SRMS and other District facilities, renewal of the flood insurance policy for SRMS, and a settlement stipulation for a residential property.
- The Board also had a discussion about the path forward for a preliminary budget. The sentiment of the Board is to adopt the "opt-out" resolution in December, which will limit any tax increase in the District to the Act 1 Index (2.6%) for the 2020-2021 school year.
Personnel Committee Recommendations
- Routine Matters - The Board approved the personnel report, inclusive of appointments, leaves of absence, changes of status, degree changes, and extracurricular activities.
- Other Matters - The Board also approved the Act 93 (administrative) compensation plan. The Act 93 agreement includes Directors, Principals, Assistant Principals and Supervisors, and School Psychologists.
Policy Committee Recommendations
Policy Second Readings and Second Reading Repeals
- Local Board Procedure - Student Representative to the School Board (004.1)
- Philosophy of Education (101)
- Privacy of Protected Health Information (826)
- second reading repeals of Tutorial Instruction (116) and Employment Contract (508)
Policy First Readings - The Board affirmed the following first readings:
- Resource Materials and Instructional Supplies (109)
- Religion in Schools (1XX)
- Student Civic Engagement (1XX)
- Electronic Devices (237)
- Pest Management (716)
- first reading repeals of Celebration of Holidays (231.1) and Instructional Materials (110)
In Other Business...
- The Board approved the 2020-2021 School Year Calendar. Click here to review the calendar for the 2020-2021 school year.
- Liaison Committee Reports - Board members provided reports and dates for upcoming meetings.
- Solicitor's Report - Mr. O'Donoghue announced an executive session of the Board that preceded the meeting to discuss compensation plans.
Community Input and Follow-Up Comments
The following topics were discussed by meeting attendees during the second community input period:
- Tax increases
- Building projects within the Township
- Inclusion, safe spaces, and equity policies
- Stakeholder Survey
- Per Pupil Spending
- State funding