News from Mrs. Hilcher- Principal of Grapevine Elementary
Week of October 2 - October 6
Happy October! It is hard to believe that we've already been in school for six weeks. As I spent time in classrooms last week, I was impressed by the positive learning environments our teachers have fostered. Students were engaged in meaningful discussions and learning activities. We started reciting our new GES mission statement on the announcements each morning. One of the things we are working on this year is to live up to these ideals and to teach the meaning to our GES Stars! Be sure to talk to your student(s) about our new mission statement and watch our words come to life!
As a reminder, students do not have school on Friday, October 6th OR on Monday, October 9th. On Friday, GES staff will be participating in professional learning on campus. Monday is a holiday for all teachers & staff. It would be a great day to use your child's State Fair ticket. Enjoy your four day weekend with your student(s)!
Students Wore Blue Shirts & Boots to Stomp Out Bullying
KC Club In Action
Students created posters to advertise our event!
Students were welcomed into our Rachel's Challenge Kick Off by these awesome drummers.
Walk and Roll to School this Wednesday, Oct. 4th!
Information From Nurse Mary
As a reminder, the following guidelines should be used to help determine when your child should stay home from school due to illness:
- Fever of 100 degrees or higher in the past 24 hours. Students are allowed readmission to school when they have been fever free for 24 hours without the use of fever reducing medication.
- Vomiting and/or diarrhea in the past 24 hours
- Itchy, red eyes with discharge
- Unknown rash
- Ringworm of the scalp (until treatment has started)
- Head lice (until treatment has started)
To protect your children at school, students that are assessed with any of the signs and symptoms listed above will be sent home. For more information, please see the district website : http://www.gcisd-k12.org/Domain/58 We appreciate your cooperation with these guidelines as we work to keep all GES students & staff healthy!
Fall Carnival is October 21st!
Carnival is fast approaching and we are all excited for a great time! Please check your child's folder tonight for more information as well as a form to pre-order wristbands and Star cards.
Please also consider signing up to volunteer for the day of carnival using the link below. Thank you for all you do! Carnival would not be possible without your help!
Auction donation items are all due this week on THURSDAY OCTOBER 5TH! We are asking each family to contribute something for our themed baskets to make this the most successful auction yet! Collection boxes are now in your child's classroom. Just send them to school with their items to be placed in the box. (Please note, donations of wine/beer cannot be dropped off at the school. Please contact your coordinator to arrange for pick up).
Ways to contribute:
*Purchase item(s) from your grade level basket list (below)
*Ask a local business for a donation (or send us the name and contact information of someone you have in mind and we are happy to do it!)
*Make a Cash or Gift Card donation
There are still plenty of open spots to sign up on these links:
The grade with the most successful baskets at auction will win a Pajama Day from Mrs. Hilcher! Let's help our kiddos win the competition! If you have any questions, please contact our Auction Coordinator.
A New Way to Say “Happy Birthday”
We are offering a way to have your child’s “Happy Birthday” message placed on the GES digital marquee from 6:30am-8:30 pm on their big day. Complete the form attached to this email with payment and turn into PTA by October 21. $20 cash or check made payable to GES PTA. Birthday messages will be on display starting on Monday, 10/23. (If their birthday falls on the weekend or during summer break, or if it has already passed, you may choose a school day for the message. Many students with summer birthdays celebrate their half birthdays instead! Simply complete the form with the date of your choice and your student's information. This special opportunity will only be on sale from October 2 - October 21, so don't miss out!
Things to Know
- Ever wonder how you can reduce the blue light on your child's iPad? On the new iPads, there is a button you can enable to do just that. Check out this blog for more information: https://goo.gl/oy55gP
- As part of the "Student Voice" initiative in GCISD, students across the district will periodically complete questionnaires and surveys to provide feedback on their learning experiences. Sometimes these surveys are informal (such as feedback on a recent unit, etc...), and sometimes they are more comprehensive (such as a Gallup survey, etc...). Most surveys will be anonymous, and all surveys will be used for the purpose of providing the best learning environment possible for students. If you have any questions about the Student Voice initiative, feel free to ask your student's teacher or the campus administration for more information.
October is National Bully Free Month
Monday, 10/2 Boots & Blue Day for anti-bullying; Choir (2:55-3:55 PM)
Wednesday, 10/4 Walk & Roll to school - meet at Glade Landing Park @7:15AM; Running Club (2:55-3:30PM Pick up in back drive.)
Thursday, 10/5 Choir (2:55-3:55 PM); WOW Club (2:55-4:15 PM)
Friday, 10/6 Student holiday - Professional Learning Day for staff
Monday, 10/9 Student/Staff holiday
Tuesday, 10/10 - Friday, 10/13 Global Math Week
Wednesday, 10/11 Art Club (2:55-3:55PM); Student Council (2:55-3:55PM)
Thursday, 10/12 Choir (2:55-3:55 PM)
Monday, 10/16 Yearbook picture day; Choir (2:55-3:55 PM)
Tuesday, 10/17 Campus Excellence Committee (3:15-4:15PM)
Thursday, 10/19 Choir (2:55-3:55 PM); PTA meeting (6:30PM)
Friday, 10/20 Kindergarten field trip; End of first nine weeks
Saturday, 10/21 GES Fall Carnival (2-5PM)
Monday, 10/23 - Friday, 10/27 Book Fair Week; Red Ribbon Week
Monday, 10/23 Choir (2:55-3:55 PM)
Tuesday, 10/24 Lunch With a Loved One
Wednesday, 10/25 UNITY day (wear orange); Report Cards posted; Art Club (2:55-3:55PM)
Thursday, 10/26 Choir (2:55-3:55 PM)
Friday, 10/27 Story Book Character Parade (7:55AM)
Monday, 10/30 Choir (2:55-3:55 PM)
Tuesday, 10/31 Writer's Celebration Day
Thursday, 11/2 Early dismissal (11:45AM); Student led conferences
Friday, 11/17 Heritage Day Celebrations (2:00PM)
Grade Level Newsletters
In order to volunteer at GES, or around GCISD, all volunteers must:
- read the Volunteer Handbook (this replaces the previous face to face volunteer trainings held on campus)
- watch the appropriate video included in the handbook
- electronically sign the verification Google form for each campus you plan to volunteer
- complete the volunteer background check. A link is included in the handbook.
The following link takes you to the online Volunteer Handbook and background check: http://www.gcisd-k12.org/site/Default.aspx?PageID=474
When you are ready to volunteer at GES, feel free to call the front office at 817-251-5735 to verify that both of the required steps have been recorded as completed. We appreciate your support as you complete these steps and volunteer to work with our GES students.
Meet Our Outstanding GES Staff!
Follow Our Story
Follow the excitement on Twitter and Facebook:
- On Twitter follow:
Principal Mrs. Hilcher: @GESHilcher
Assistant Principal Mrs. Hale: @GESHale
Grapevine Elementary: @GESStars
Your favorite teacher: @GES[lastname]
All GES classrooms by checking our #GESshineon
On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/GrapevineElementary