June 6th - June 10th
Spoiler Alert: Last Week of School! Events and Reminders to wrap up ...
Greetings da Vinci Families,
As the rain and sunshine come and go this past weekend, it reminds me of just how bittersweet the end of the school year is. This week is our final week with students, until the fall. I am reminded that students will have mixed emotions, as they begin to transition to the summer and then beyond.
Our week is jammed packed with activities to close out our school year and energy and emotions will be running at an all time high. Please pay close attention to your kiddo and reach out if they need or want support from a counselor or staff member to help them process the school year. We also ask that you have conversations with your student about the importance of continuing to follow all school wide expectations for the duration of this week (that means no pranks, stink bombs, etc. -- trust me, I know middle schoolers!). We will expect that devices are off and away, students make it into classes on time, etc. We will have our day of fun on Friday with a talent show, school dance and other activities -- all opportunities to say their, "see you later" wishes.
Shout out to our PTSA and special thanks go to Shannon Wilken for heading up our Online Auction. This would not have been possible without the initiative and hours of work on Shannon's part. Thanks to all our bidders for your support. The PTSA met its fundraising goal for this event.
Another shout-out to all of you! HUGE gratitude for making our PTSA online auction a great success. We surpassed our goal! Funds will go to our PTSA and those funds support all things da Vinci (from individual teacher materials requests, to equitable family access, to activities such as field trips, our 8th grade end of the year trip and so much more).
Again, WE NEED YOU!
In order to sustain the PTSA and all of the support they provide da Vinci students and staff, we really need PTSA Board Members for the 2022-23 school year. If interested, see the PTSA section of the newsletter.
Thank you kindly,
I will be sending out a final newsletter to close out the end of the school year at the end of this week.
Last Week at a Glance- What you need to know.
- Chromebooks will be inventoried for 6th and 7th graders. If you want to keep it for the summer, we need the form and we need to see the computer and charge cord. The link for the form is below if you did not get the paper form.
- 8th graders will be going on their trip to Oaks Park! Buses will depart around 9:30 and return around 2:30. Dress for the weather. Lunch will be provided. Concessions will be open if students want to purchase other items.
- Jr. Rose Parade! Band students will be marching in the parade. Use this signup to let Mr. Gerolami know if you will be picking up your student from the end of the route or if your student will be walking back to school.
- If your student is not in band and wants to attend, please consider excusing them for the day. If you are signing out your student, time the departure between class periods and plan ahead to have them meet you in the office to sign them out.
- Chromebook returns or inventory continues.
- 8th Grade students will have a promotion rehearsal at da Vinci in the morning. 8th graders are not being dismissed early on this day and should remain at school.
- The Promotion Ceremony is at 6 pm at Grant High School. Students should report to line up in the "Commons" area at 5:30 and the doors will open for families at 5:30. You do not need tickets but we suggest that families not bring more than 5 guests so there is room for everyone. Unless you are volunteering, the event is for our promoting students and their families, due to space limitations. Masks are encouraged. Attire for students can be dressy/casual. The ceremony will last approximately 2 hours.
- Special Schedule with 6 short periods, Yearbooks, a Talent Show, and an Ice Cream Social/Dance Party at the end of the day.
- If your student has medication in the health room, please arrange to come to pick it up this week.
- Return all library and classroom books.
- Lockers need to be empty and locks removed by Friday.
- Check lost and found - come Friday, all left over items will be donated.
Here are our current volunteer needs! Please check out the signups for the Jr. Rose Parade, Promotion, and the last day of school. We would also love to have some folks host summer gatherings and care for the roses and gardens over summer.
June 7th, 8th Grade Field Trip @ Oaks Park
June 7th, Black and Brown Family meeting, 6 - 7 pm (in person @ da Vinci)
June 8th, Dine for da Vinci at Dar Salam
June 7th and 8th, Computers due from 6th and 7th graders
June 8th, Portland Jr. Rose Festival Parade, Band students
June 9th, 8th Grade Promotion, 6:00 at Grant HS
June 10, Last Day of School
8th Grade Promotion
Da Vinci Online Auction
The auction has closed and what a success it was! Once the final tally is in we’ll report back with the total revenue raised. Thank you for the support!
Lucky bidders can expect an email this week with pick-up options or details about winning your bids.
Dine for da Vinci - June 8th
Ice Cream Social Volunteers Needed - June 10th
Sign up HERE to help support this end-of-school event!
PTSA 2022 - 2023 Board Members NEEDED
Do you have experience on a PTSA board or seeking more consistent involvement in da Vinci Arts Middle School? The board is currently seeking a President or Co-President, Vice President, Secretary, and Treasurer! HERE is where you can understand more about the open roles and HERE is where you can sign up to speak with a current board member to have your questions answered.
Important Information about 1:1 Chromebooks
Please read the following important information regarding Chromebook return and/or Chromebook retention over the summer. *Action is required*. This letter and form were sent home on Friday.
Per district policy, we need to ensure that all students have their Chromebook & charger, as well as get any needed repairs done over the summer. There are different actions depending on the grade of your student. In all cases, this letter needs to be filled out and returned to school. We will be sending paper copies of the letter home this week.
6th and 7th Grade Students:
You have the option to keep your Chromebook over the summer or turn it into da Vinci for safekeeping.
If you choose to keep your Chromebook over the summer, the appropriate box on the attached form needs to be checked, as well as both student and parent signatures. When you bring your form in, you must also bring your Chromebook and charger so they can be accounted for on the school’s inventory sheet (you will then keep your device once it’s inventoried).
If you choose to turn your Chromebook in over the summer, you will not receive the same computer back next year. Returned Chromebooks need to be free of writing, stickers, and residue (to the best of your ability).
**Return & Inventory Dates for 6th/7th Graders:
Bring all items (including the attached form) on Tuesday 6/7 & Wednesday 6/8.
If you’re keeping your device/equipment over the summer, you will get them checked and then take them back home. If you’re returning your device for the summer, you will not have it for use after this day.
6th & 7th-grade students not returning to da Vinci next year:
You must also fill out the attached form and return your Chromebook, charger, and case to da Vinci on the date listed above.
Any questions, please reach out to the office or Kerry Bayne (email@example.com).
Attendance Reporting Reminder
PPS Sponsored Family Resources
- PPS Summer Enrichment Opportunities (multilingual)
- Arleta Triangle Square Community Survey
- VIBE of Portland Lift Youth Voices Summer Mural Project
- Bustin’ Barriers Summer Camps for Kids Experiencing Disability
- Saturday Academy Summer STEAM Camps & Classes
- Portland Metro Fire Summer Camp
- Benson Tech Youth United Multi-Sport Summer Camp (FLIER UPDATED)
- Adapted PE Field Day (K-8 flier) (9-12 flier)
- Cognizart 360 Arts Summer Camp
- VIBE of Portland Art Camps, Classes, No-School Workshops
- VIBE of Portland East Winds Summer Camp
- OSU Summer Reading Program
- Multnomah Early Childhood Program (English) (Spanish) (Vietnamese)
- Portland Parks & Recreation Preschool 2022-2023 Registration