What is Desalination?
Desalination is the removing of salts and minerals from saltwater so we can drink it without it killing our livers. Here are the three most common methods:
Pros of Desalination
- We know how, why, and that it works
- Doesn't use current Freshwater supplies
- It has a lot of fuel (Saltwater)
Cons of Desalination
- Plants are expensive to build
- They are labor and energy intensive
- Increases Salinity of waste
For Distillation, the water is heated by an outside source and turns into steam, which is not necessary in the aforementioned two other processes. The Steam travels down a pipe that is surrounded by coolant, which takes the heat from the steam so it condenses into pure freshwater.