Military and Government
- All males were forced to join the army at the age of 7 and live in a barracks.
- At the age of 7, boys joined the agoge education program. That trained them to be smart and physical (good soldiers).
- When men became 20 years old they joined the real army and became full soldiers.
- Soldiers could leave the barracks and start a family at 30 years old. They were still soldiers.
- They could retire at the age of 60 but still had to train to be ready at any given moment for a battle.
Government and Culture
- Sparta was ruled by two kings and a Council of Elders.
- They a citizens assembly but they did not much power.
- The government and culture was thriving in trade and luxurious items, like ivory.
- They conquered their neighbors for more fertile land Messenia, and slaves, Helots.
- The Helots rebelled and attacked their Spartan masters.
- The Spartans won the war and gained more power.
- Sparta's government changed and became military minded.
- They were always afraid the Helots would rebel and take over.