Benefits of Guided Reading Lessons
Information for teachers in primary grades
What is guided reading lessons?
What are the steps of a guided reading lesson?
2. Picture walk: Have the students go through and look at all the pictures, even before reading anything.
3. Reading the text: Have the students/ yourself read through all the text.
4. Go back to the text for vocabulary: Pick vocabulary for the student's reading level and go over what the definitions are.
5. Reflection on the book: Have the students reflect on what their favorite parts were or what they liked about the book.
Benefits of Guided Reading
- Students become more fluent readers.
- Students learn reading strategies that help them with more difficult texts.
- Students learn appropriate questions to ask about a text.
- It enables students to have a conversation about the text.
- Students learn to think critically about a book.
- It encourages students to use their prior knowledge and experience and apply it to the text.