West High School's Weekly Updates: April 11th - April 17th
Trojans Excel in Science Olympiad
The West High Science Olympiad team made the trek to Coe College this weekend to compete in the Iowa Science Olympiad. In just their fourth year of participating in this competition, the students finished 4th as a team and had several podium finishes. Teachers Sakinah Ellickson and Marianne McGrane accompanied the team. The following students finished in the top three in their respective events:
- Sama Jwaeid and Saniyah Sami, 2nd Place, Bridge Building
- Irene Schulte and Lien Zhu, 2nd Place, Air Trajectory
- Barbara Badovinac and Brandon Hu, 2nd place, Anatomy
- Jiahua Zhang, 3rd place, Chemistry Lab
- Barbara Badovinac and Ioana Cherascu, 3rd place, Forensics
- Samalya Thenwaru and Brandon Hu, 2nd place, Disease Detectives
- Katie Bozer and Irene Schulte, 2nd place, Write It, Do It
- Adam Conrad and Michael Dion, 1st Place, Game On
Midterms Grades Distributed
Top Five for April 11th-17th
- Spring Musical Mary Poppins will be staged on Thursday – Saturday at 7:00 pm and also Saturday at 1:00 pm in Arganbright Auditorium. Get your tickets before they sell out. They are available in the Main Office during business hours.
- The Girls Soccer team will play a makeup game vs. North Scott on Monday, April 11 at 6:45 at the Barker Soccer complex at West High.
- Boys Soccer team will play at home on Tuesday at 6:45 pm and Thursday at 6:45 pm.
- Girls/Boys Soccer Doubleheader on Thursday, April 14, at the Ed Barker Soccer Complex at West High, 5:00 pm.
- Girls Tennis on Thursday at 4:00 and Saturday at 9:00 am and 1:00 pm
D.C.’s Newseum Institute names Isabelle Robles Iowa’s Free Spirit Scholarship winner
The Newseum Institute in Washington, D.C. awarded West Side Story (WSS) staffer, Isabelle Robles ’17, as Iowa’s winner in the annual Al Neuharth Free Spirit and Journalism Conference for 2016. The program targets rising high school seniors who are interested in pursuing a career in journalism and who demonstrate qualities of a “free spirit.” The Institute honors 51 students in the country–one from each state plus Washington, D.C.–with a scholarship and all-expenses-paid journalism conference held at the Newseum in Washington, D.C. The Newseum Institute funds the conference to honor Al Neuharth, the founder of USA Today, to promote the vital role of the First Amendment as a cornerstone of democracy and to inspire and encourage students to pursue journalism.
Robles is currently the entertainment and copy co-editor for the WSS print and online publications. In addition to attending this summer’s Free Spirit Journalism Conference, Robles will also travel to Washington, D.C. to serve on the Alumni Youth Advisory Board for the Washington Journalism and Media Conference this summer.
For more information on previous WSS awards, click here.
Link to story on wsspaper.com: http://wsspaper.com/20780/news/d-c-s-newseum-institute-names-isabelle-robles-iowas-free-spirit-scholarship-winner/
IHSMA Solo & Ensemble Festival, Saturday April 16th
WHS Summer Athletic Camps Open for Registration
Coaches are now preparing for West High Summer Athletic Camps. Camps will occur throughout the summer so use this link to learn about times, dates and locations. Don't get left behind, sign up today. http://www.icwestsportscamps.com/
Local Scholarship Opportunities
Attention parents of the class of 2016: There are a number of local scholarships currently posted on the West High Guidance web site with deadlines that are rapidly approaching. Many of these scholarships are presented annually at the Senior Recognition Assembly on May 11th in the West High Auditorium. To view the scholarship check out the link below:
Student Senate Leads Book Drive
Senior Recognition Form Due April 22nd
On Wednesday, May 11, at 9:00 a.m., an assembly has been scheduled to recognize the special accomplishments seniors have received during the 2015-2016 school year. Parents, faculty, and junior and senior students will participate in the assembly. To help us plan this assembly we need a list of the scholarships and honors that have been accepted by our 2016 seniors.
Please return this form to Beckie Smalley in the main office on or before April 22.
Forms received after April 22 will not be printed in the recognition program.
The form can be found at this link: http://www.edline.net/pages/WestHighSchool/News/Senior_Recognition_Form_due_Ap