July 18, 2019
Faculty Room Updates
We found a little time this morning to give the faculty room a bit of an update. A special thank you to Pat and Joyce for their assistance and hard work! I hope this small transformation makes this a more comfortable, inviting space for all of us in the year to come. See more pictures below!
In other news, plans for our faculty retreat and in-service day on August 27th are being finalized. I hope to share full details with you by the first week of August. Classrooms are scheduled to open on Monday, August 12th, and I hope you can join us for the Back to School BBQ on Friday, August 23rd! See below for more details, dates, and reminders.
As always, if you have any questions, please feel free to reach out! I'll be in school and checking email regularly.
Have a blessed weekend!
Important Dates & Details
- Dependent on cleaning services.
Back to School BBQ - Friday, August 23rd 5:30-7:30
- The evening will feature hotdogs, hamburgers, games, and time to enjoy one another's company. You are encouraged to attend if you are free that evening, but attendance is not required.
Back to School Night - Monday, August 26th
- The daytime is reserved for teachers to be in their classrooms preparing for Back to School Night and the start of the year (as needed). All teachers and staff are asked to attend Back to School Night in the evening. A more detailed schedule will be sent out in the coming weeks.
Professional Day - Tuesday, August 27th
- All teachers & staff should plan to attend this professional day for the full day. The morning will include Mass and a faculty retreat. The afternoon will include our in-service meeting with time to distribute important materials, discuss overarching goals for the upcoming year, and prepare for the first day of school.A more detailed schedule will be sent out in the coming weeks.
Pre-K, K, and Middle School Orientations - Wednesday, August 28th
- These will follow similar procedures as previous years. If you have been involved in planning these events, please feel free to reach out to start the planning process when you are ready.
FIRST DAY OF SCHOOL - Thursday, August 29th
Cross Country Coach Opening
Summer Spotlight Series
One way in which I'd like to accomplish this is through a "Summer Spotlight Series" on our Facebook page. Please note that this is entirely optional!
What does this entail?
If you're interested in taking part, simply fill out the Summer Spotlight Survey here (you'll need to be logged in to your school Google account):
I'll use the information in the survey to create a post that details your great work at FJVD and a little more about you! The post will be shared through our school Facebook page.
Spotlight Posts will be created as survey responses come in and will run approximately every week, as participation allows. Don't worry if your post does not make it over the summer, we will continue the posts as needed to make sure everyone has an opportunity!
I look forward to learning more about you and sharing some of your great work with our community!
Facilities UpdatesThe faculty room is fresh, clean, and has a few updates! The air conditioning is a particularly nice touch during these warm summer months!
I absolutely encourage and support using the summer months for rest, relaxation, and rejuvenation. With that being said, it would be helpful if you can briefly check your emails once every 1-2 weeks, simply to stay up to date with any announcements, change in dates, etc.
Thoughts on Heroism from a Volunteer Firefighter
In this video, Mark Bezos, a volunteer firefighter and employee of the Robin Hood Foundation, discusses what it truly means to be a hero.
While not directly related to education, Bezos reminds listeners that, "having witnessed acts of generosity and kindness on a monumental scale" and also "acts of grace and courage on an individual basis," ultimately, "they all matter." How wonderful it is to know that as teachers and educators, we need not wait a single moment to make a difference in someone's life.
How blessed we are to have been called to this vocation!