November 23, 2015
Greetings from the Principal
Dear Riverview families,
Each year on the fourth Thursday in November, Americans gather for a day of feasting and family. While today’s Thanksgiving celebrations would likely be unrecognizable to those of the original harvest meal in the year 1621, it continues to be an annual tradition for Americans to come together around the table and celebrate (with some updates to pilgrims' menu!).
Thanksgiving is a time to be grateful for all we have and the people around us. Wishing you and your family the best during this holiday season.
Make it a great week!
A Note From Nurse Kerry...
...Guess who has the potential to return to school this fall? Head lice!
When checking your child’s head you are looking for nits—teardrop shaped white to gray in color dots on the hair shaft. Nits can easily be mistaken for dandruff or droplets of hair-spray, however, they are firmly attached to the hair shaft and cannot be readily moved or removed. Nits are eggs that hatch in a matter of days, thus continuing the cycle of infestation. Persistent scratching of the head, around the ears, or nape of the neck is a common symptom.
If you find lice or nits...
· treat your child, and follow the protocol for re-treatment. This includes taking care of linens, mattress, pillows, car seats, hair accessories, stuffed animals and clothing. This is just a short list of items to clean. Wash what you can in hot water and high heat in the dryer, what you cannot wash should be bagged for at least 2 weeks from when the last live lice are found.
· You can also notify parents of children that your child has been in contact with so they can check their children and treat if necessary. (Wouldn’t you want the parent of a friend to do the same thing for you?).
· Please notify your school nurse, as well. We do not share this information with anyone, but it helps to know if we need to be looking in a particular classroom for scratching heads.
Tech Talk: Riverview's Technology Integration Team
Third graders have been having a blast trying out BYOD (Bring Your Own Device) during our animal research project and for workstation activities. We have been exploring appropriate websites for finding kid-friendly usable information, taking strong notes to use during the writing process, and learning to cite the sources we have used. It is sooooo much fun using up-to-date technology to enhance our researching experience! We have also been sharing our learning through a program called Seesaw, a digital portfolio program. Through the use of this site, we are able to create video and pictures of what we have done for any particular learning adventure and save these to our personal account. Items can be stored in folders to create a cumulative, yearlong portfolio for each student. The best part is that our parents have access to our accounts and can peek inside our classroom to "see" what we "saw"!!!!
Riverview Staff Bell Ringing for the Salvation Army
- Wednesday, 25th - NO SCHOOL
- Thursday, 26th - NO SCHOOL
- Friday, 27th - NO SCHOOL
- Monday, 30th - 4:00-6:00 pm - Riverview Staff bell ringing for the Salvation Army at Walmart (K-7 & Johnson Dr.) - Arrive, donate, shop!
- Monday, 30th - PTA General Meeting 7:00 pm (East Activity Area)
- Tuesday, 1st - Riverview Soaring Singers Choir Performance, 6:30-7:30 pm
- Thursday, 3rd - PTA Pizza West Fundraiser Evening 2:00 pm - close
- Thursday, 17th - End of 2nd Quarter
- Friday, 18th - No School - Teacher Workday
- Monday, 21 - Friday, 1st - No School, Building Closed
- Monday, 4th - No School - Professional In-Service Day
- Tuesday 5th, - Start of 3rd Quarter
- Monday 18th, - No School - Building Closed
Don’t forget to check out the USD 232 Electronic Flyers webpage for information on events and programs offered by outside agencies. http://www.usd232.org/pages/DeSotoUSD232/DistrictInfo/forms_documents/Electronic_Flyers
Riverview Elementary PTA
SAVE THE DATE!!!
sponsored by RE PTA
January 15, 2016
More details to follow!
*Riverview PTA would like to wish the Riverview students and staff a Happy Thanksgiving!
*Reminder: RE Staff Appreciation pie collection takes place TOMORROW during the morning car loop!
**Attention Riverview Students:
PTA is hosting a membership drive during the month of November. Encourage your parents to become PTA members if they haven't already done so by filling out the form located on the PTA website and sending in $10.
The winning class from EACH grade level with the largest number of PTA members will win an extra spectacular reward! Class totals and grade level winners will be determined on percentage of membership.
PTA has sponsored the very successful Cookie Dough fundraiser, brought back the amazing Harvest Fest, and awarded thousands of dollars to teachers through the PTA grant program. PTA is working hard for everyone this year and would love to increase our membership as well.
Please return the membership form and cash or check by FRIDAY, DECEMBER 4th . Let's continue to make Riverview a wonderful place to learn and grow!
*Please join us Monday, November 30th for the General PTA Meeting. It will be held in the East Activity Area at 7:00 PM. Everyone is welcome!
*Thanks so much to our Riverview students and families for food and supply donations to stock the shelves of the DeSoto Food Pantry! We stocked the shelves, and your generosity helps so many in our community!!
*Enjoy some Pizza for dinner and support RE at the same time next Thursday, December 3rd at Pizza West. Tell them you are with Riverview Elementary and RE will receive 15% of sales from the full price menu. This offer is good from 2pm to close on dine in, carryout, delivery and take and bake. Proceeds will benefit RE Exploratory teachers.
11/30 General PTA Meeting
12/3 Pizza West Restaurant Night
12/4 Last day of the membership drive
With the input of more than 2,000 Kansans, the Kansas State Board of Education has set a new Vision for Kansas education where “Kansas leads the world in the success of each student.” Click on the red banner to learn more!