Huggins Paw Print
August 26, 2022
Can't Hide Our Hound Pride!
It was a FANTASTIC first week of school! This week we welcomed almost 900 Hounds, and it was a joy to see their faces. We spent our time building classroom culture, teaching classroom and campus procedures, and getting to know one another. We ended the week with an EPIC House pep rally. All of our new students were assigned their house color, which they will be a part of throughout their time at Huggins. Our house system is aligned to our philosophy rooted in Positive Behavior Intervention and Supports. Students earn Hound Bucks for displaying good character and will have opportunities to purchase rewards and/or donate their buck to their House for points. Our house pep rallies will take place monthly...and are always a good time!
We still have 13% of families that need to complete their Beginning of Year Forms in Skyward Family Access. Details are listed below on how you can access these if you have not done so already. These forms help us ensure we have up to date information on your student.
We appreciate your patience as we continue to refine our arrival and dismissal procedures. Safety will always remain our top priority. The first few weeks of school traditionally see extended arrival and dismissal times, but these always reduce as we get into routine.
This year, as an increase to our safety measures, students and staff are required to wear their identification badge at all times. Student badges will serve as the student ID and SmartTag all in one card. We will also provide all students and staff with an emergency safety card to be worn with their ID Badge. This requirement is just one of several new safety additions that we are incorporating this year. The safety card contains Lamar CISD's Standard Response Protocol, important emergency numbers, as well as a QR code that links directly to the District's anonymous tip line. Badges will be distributed with student SMART Tags. If you have not done so, please be sure you have registered in Smart Tag to receive updates. Detailed directions can be found below.
Keep in mind that there will be no school on Monday, September 5th in observation of Labor Day. We are looking forward to parent orientation on Thursday, September 8th. We will have two identical sessions presented by classroom teachers, 5:00-5:45pm and 6:00-6:45pm. We will also have our Watch DOGS kick off at 7:00pm for any dads, grandpas, etc. that would be interested in volunteering at our school. Our book fair will also be opened for parents to visit.
We hope you have had a beautiful weekend. We know our hounds needed rest after a busy first week!
We can't hide our HOUND pride!
Thursday, September 1st: Charger Spirit Day
Friday, September 2nd: Huggins Spirit Day
Monday, September 5th: No School
Thursday, September 8th: Parent Orientation/WatchDOGS Meeting
Friday, September 9th: Grandparents Day Lunch (Flyer Below)
Book Fair - Thursday, September 1st - Friday, September 9th *Parents can visit the book fair during Parent Orientation on September 8th
Book Fair Volunteers
We are looking for volunteers to help out with the Fall Book Fair. This is a great opportunity to come out, meet some new friends and have fun! The Library is a great place to BE!
Pre-K and Kindergarten SmartTags
Ensuring the safety and security of the students riding on buses is our highest priority. To facilitate and support this safety initiative the District has implemented the Smart Tag system to promote and ensure a positive school bus riding experience for all Lamar CISD students. Students are issued Smart Tag ID cards with an electronic chip Smart sensor (please do not modify the ID cards, or place holes in the card). The student’s name is printed on the front of the card, and there is no student information stored on the card.
Students must have one or more Transportation Release Guardians listed within the students Smart Tag Parent Portal.
To ensure the safety of the children, parents/guardians or an authorized person is encouraged to be at the bus stop each day when their child is picked up and dropped off.
· Drivers will only release a student to approved guardians at the stop and must be in possession of a picture ID so the driver can verify release authorization via the Smart Tag system. If a driver is unable to verify release authorization the student will be returned to campus.
- Parents must register this information within their students Smart Tag profile via the Smart Tag Parent Portal.
- Parents are also responsible for keeping the information current.
- Parents/guardians and children should know their route number, school name, and stop location.
- Children in grades Pre-K/KG (i.e., Pre-Kindergarten and Kindergarten) MUST be received by an adult, parent, or authorized receiver at the designated bus stop and designated time. This could be an older sibling.
- Parents should be at the stop ten (10) minutes prior to bus arrival.
- Individuals receiving a Pre-K/KG student from a bus, will need to be in possession of a picture ID so the driver can verify release authorization via the Smart Tag system. If a driver is unable to verify release authorization the student will be returned to campus.
- Should there be no one at the stop to receive a PK/KG student, the child will be taken back to the school for the parent to pick up.
- Should this occur more than twice in a semester, the third occurrence may result in the child losing bus riding privileges.
LCISD Beginning of Year Forms - Action Needed
For the 2022-23 school year, all required Lamar Consolidated ISD beginning-of-year forms must be completed online through the Skyward Family Access Center.
Offering these forms digitally allows you the convenience of only updating information that has changed from last school year, while also helping us maintain accurate information in our student information system. Instructions, important dates and technical assistance regarding the online forms can be found by clicking here. Included on this page is a link to reset your Family Access username/password if you have forgotten it.
Online forms will be available through the Family Access Center starting Aug. 1 and all forms need to be submitted no later than Sept. 16th. Your student’s schedule will not be available online through the Family Access Center until all of the beginning-of-year forms are completed for your student and after the campus has released schedules. Student schedules will be available online on Wednesday, Aug. 17th if all online forms have been completed.
For those who need access to a computer or the Internet, computers will be available on campus Monday – Thursday, 8 a.m. – 4 p.m. starting August 8th.