JSD Year 1 Newsletter
Week Ending Friday 7th March 2014
What have we done this week?
This week has been filled with various book-related activities and the children have had lots of fun experiences.
· We have been lucky enough to have some Year 5 & 6 children come into our classes to read a story book in another language. Some of the languages we had stories in were: Dutch, German, Urdu and Japanese.
· We have written our own adventure stories about a ‘Superworm’ based on the book by Julia Donaldson.
· The Year 1 children worked with the Year 3 classes to take a ‘Journey Through a Painting’. This was a very valuable experience for Year 1 as the Year 3 children helped them to plan a beginning, a middle and an end to their story as well as considering what characters there might be.
· On Wednesday all classes were invited to the Media Centre to hear a story read by Mrs B and to get a small gift to celebrate the opening of our new Media Centre.
· Friday was a very busy day and the children were extremely excited to be wearing their favourite character costumes. We loved the parade in the morning and we heard stories in both Year 1 and Year 2 classes.
· The children enjoyed an assembly on Monday to open our special ‘Book Week’, and a closing assembly on Friday lunchtime.
· The children have started to complete their book week passports in school. Perhaps they can complete these at home.
· Some photographs from the week can be found here.
· In science we looked at materials and tried to guess whether the items in our secret feely bags were rubber, glass, wood or metal. We also played a short sorting game on the computer.
· In numeracy the children continued to tell the time using individual clocks. Some were reading o’clock times and others were reading half past as well.
· In literacy we have being acting out parts of our ‘Traction Man is Here’ book. We used sand, water and various other small world items to recreate the various scenes.