Holmes Elementary School - Week Ending - 10/26/2018
Celebrating Halloween at Holmes
Halloween is an exciting time at Holmes School and our annual parade is something our community looks forward to each year. As we prepare for our Halloween celebration next week, we want to remind you of a few things.
- no weapons (knives, guns, etc) or portrayals of violence
- no blood-like paint
- no culturally offensive costumes
- classroom parties will be food-free celebrations
- all visitors must check in at the office before going to classrooms
Please check with the classroom teacher for the time of your class/grade level party
Please see the attachment with information about celebrating at Holmes.
Looking forward to celebrating with our amazing Holmes community.
We also recognize that not all students participate in these activities and therefore plan alternate activities for students with Ms. Jaros in the library. If you have an objection to your child participating in the fall parade and classroom celebrations, please let their teacher know.
Going to be Absent? Please be sure to let us know
Our annual Turkey Trot will take place on Tuesday, November 20th on the Holmes playground. Parents/guardians are more than welcome to stop by to cheer our students on.
The race times are as follows:
1:00-1:15 3rd Grade
1:20-1:35 5th Grade
1:40-1:55 4th Grade
2:00-2:15 1st Grade
2:40-2:55 2nd Grade
If you would like to volunteer to help with the Turkey Trot, please click here.
Ms. Jones and Ms. Ruff are Seeking: 1x4 and 2x4 Wood Boards
Holmes Students in the Upcoming Performance of Matilda
Shows are Friday at 1:30 pm and 7pm and Saturday at 2pm and 7pm? Tickets are available at: http://ovationacademy.org/ or at the door.
Celebrate Holmes Staff
Families, have you noticed a Holmes teacher or staff member who deserves a compliment or a thank you? Has this person made a difference for your child? Please share the reason in a brief email to me (firstname.lastname@example.org) so that we may recognize and thank them!
IMPORTANT DATES/THINGS TO REMEMBER
- Picture Retake Day - Monday, October 29
- Halloween parade and classroom parties - October 31 - Parade at 1:10pm
- Title 1 Breakfast - November 1 - 7:30am
- Hawk Nest!!! November 7
- Teacher Institute Day - November 6 - No School
- Trivia Night! - November 9, 7:00pm - PTO sponsored adult event
- Turkey Trot - November 20
- Thanksgiving Break - November 21-23 - No School
Community Hawk Nest
Buy tickets and help contribute with silent auction items.
The Place to Be?: Holmes PTO Trivia Night Fundraiser on November 9th at the Nineteenth Century Club from 7-11P. Book those babysitters early!
What’s in Store?: Trivia! Silent Auction! Raffle Prizes! Dinner as an additional option (provided by Hecho en Oak Park)
What Can I Do?:
1) It won’t be a party without you. Buy group or individual tickets here https://dime.io/events/trivianight2018/event_dates/6890/orders/new/
2) If you can donate an item for our silent auction, please fill in this form https://goo.gl/forms/IO9TN6c9Whr6to4j2
3) if you can donate your time, look for the signup soon. All help is appreciated. And all ideas are welcome. Email email@example.com.
The PTO and Holmes School Needs You!
How Scrip Works: ShopWithScrip is a different kind of fundraiser—with the help of over 750 brands, it turns your everyday shopping into earnings for our Holmes School. By paying for your purchases with gift cards, also known as scrip, you’ll earn money for Holmes on your everyday purchases (groceries, gas, dining out, home improvement projects, clothing, travel, and more). How? Every gift card has a rebate percentage on it, normally between 2% and 16%. That rebate goes directly to OUR SCHOOL.
Family Registration is easy
1) Log on to ShopWithScrip.com
2) Click "Join Program" Blue Button
3) Enter Holmes PTO Enrollment Code 6BL378C861333
4) Shop Away! You use the gift card (at its full value) on your everyday shopping. I.e. a $100 Old Navy Gift card purchased through the Holmes PTO ShopWithScrip program earns you $100 of Old Navy Merchandise AND Holmes School $14 cash. (Old Navy Rebate is 14%).
5) Gift Card Delivery
E-Cards delivered directly to your email at the time of purchase. In order to keep shipping costs at a minimum, physical gift card orders will be placed on the 1st Tuesday of each month and delivered to the Holmes School the following week.