Superintendent's Weekly Update
January 20, 2023
Dear Weymouth Public Schools' Community,
We are excited to announce Kindergarten registration for the 2023-2024 school year is open! For information on how to register, and to view upcoming important dates and deadlines, please click here.
It was a busy week in the district as planning and preparation for the FY24 budget was a focal point for district and school administrators, and mid-year exams took center stage for many of our students and educators.
Last Friday Chapman Middle School hosted a visit from the Department of Elementary and Secondary Education to discuss the importance of early CTE opportunities for middle school students, and to showcase some of the exceptional learning spaces and labs throughout Chapman Middle School-- including the Town Square, Theater Arts Lab, Culinary, Expeditionary Learning, Maker Space (Robotics), Fine Art Studios, Fab Lab, Music Labs, Film, Media & Broadcast. Special thanks to Principal Meehan and all the students who participated in focus groups with DESE's Office of College, Career and Technical Education.
Below you'll find an additional update from Student Services, and a few highlights from throughout the week. See you back in school on Monday, Wildcats!
Splashworthy News: Swim with a Friend is BACK!
An Update from Student Services -
"The Swim with a Friend" Program made a triumphant return in October!
Working collaboratively with WPS staff, the WPS transportation team, as well as volunteers and staff from the Connell Memorial Rink and Pool , students have once again been given the opportunity to participate in this program and have some fun in the pool with their classmates.
We currently have close to 60 students participating in the program. Swim with a Friend will run through the first week in April.
Special thanks to our Student Services Financial Analyst Kellie Krawciw for spearheading the initiative to bring this program back to our students.
SEED. Inc. Turns Students Into Scientists at Pingree!
Science & Engineering Education Development (SEED, Inc.) had a special visit with Pingree's grade 3 scientists, and showcased a super COOL dry ice experiment with grade 5 students. Thank you SEED, Inc. and the Mass Cultural Council for making this interactive and engaging day of science possible.
The Cold Can't Get in the Way of Fun at JECC!
Weymouth High School: Weymouth Rotary Interact Club
Famine Donations Benefit Weymouth & The World: Weymouth Rotary Interact Club Holds a 30 hour Famine Fundraising Event
Proceeds from the event benefited the Weymouth Food Pantry, and $400 was contributed to community projects in third world countries in need. The projects include aiding in areas of need including: clean water for a village, healthcare for women and children, and fighting diseases with vaccines. They also bought rabbits, ducks, an alpaca and chickens to help end hunger and poverty around the world by providing livestock, eggs and protein for nourishment. These items boost income through sales of eggs and offspring and ensure security for generations through passing on the gift.
Special thanks to everyone who contributed towards this meaningful cause, students involved with the Weymouth Rotary Interact Club and Advisor/ WHS Teacher, Melinda Mahar.
Upcoming Events & Important Dates:
- Friday, January 20 - Last Day of Term 2
- Tuesday, January 24 - ELPAC Meeting at 7PM
- Wednesday, January 25 - Budget Sub-Committee at 7PM
- Thursday, February 2 - School Committee at 7PM
- Monday, February 6 - School Committee Policy Subcommittee at 6PM
- Monday, February 6 - Chapman Parent Council Meeting at 6PM
Weymouth Fire: Community Connect
Weymouth Fire has launched a new tool, Community Connect, to help keep residents safe. Community Connect allows residents to share critical info about their household that first responders can use in the event of an emergency – who lives there, if anyone has mobility issues, pets in the house, & more.
Additional Links & Resources:
Quick Guide: Log into ASPEN (Report Cards/Special Education Progress Reports)*
For a quick tutorial on how to login to Aspen, find your child’s report card, and/or find your child’s Special Education progress report:
- How to login into the Aspen Family Portal
- How to find your child’s report card
- How to find your child’s Special Education progress report
School Weekly News:
- Johnson Early Childhood Center | Principal Maura Perez | Asst. Principal Holly MacKay
- Academy Avenue Elementary | Principal Patrick Higgins
- Murphy Elementary School | Principal Patrick Costello | Asst. Principal Dennis Jones
- Pingree Elementary School | Principal Heather Ronan | Asst. Principal
- Nash Elementary | Principal Nancy Schuhwerk
- Hamilton Elementary School | Principal Jeremy Burm | Asst. Principal Ashley Panetta
- Seach Elementary School | Principal Nerecesa Pires | Asst. Principal Sandra Walters
- Ralph Talbot Elementary | Principal Kathleen Connelly- Day
- Wessagusset Elementary School | Principal Lindsey Fratolillo | Asst. Principal Nicole Doherty
- Chapman Middle School | Principal Matthew Meehan | Associate Principal Jennifer Dolan
- Weymouth High School | Principal Karen Monahan | Associate Principal Rebecca Paulhas
Newsletter questions or inquiries?